switching to 5.29's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to put 35x12.5 on my cruiser. from what I read, 5.29 gears are the way to go. though some some say 4.88's. Feel free to weigh in on your opinions on the gear size.
where is a good place to get the gears? A good deal, but still good quality.

and how much is it ususally to have them installed.

Thanks
Kent

5.29's are a very offroad biased solution - you should be around 3,000 RPM @ 70 mph on 35's. 4.88's are the road balance.

Having said that, I will do 5.29's if I regear, but I live at 7,400 ft. elevation and 3,000 RPM @ 70 mph is perfect for me given the long high elevation climbs I deal with, and they will help in high elevation rock crawling.

Nay

Just one consideration: the teeth on 5.29 gears are thinner (because there are more of them on the ring), therefore they will break under load before 4.88s will. If you're completely undecided, maybe that will tip the balance. Depends how much hardcore severe-load wheeling you're going to do I guess.

Just one consideration: the teeth on 5.29 gears are thinner (because there are more of them on the ring), therefore they will break under load before 4.88s will. If you're completely undecided, maybe that will tip the balance. Depends how much hardcore severe-load wheeling you're going to do I guess.

The counter argument is that lower gearing keeps you more under control, and limits shock loading. If I am at a real and regular risk of busting a 5.29 R&P, I sure wouldn't feel comfortable with 4.88. I'm sticking 4.10 and doing a crawler.

And 70 mph @ 3,000 RPM is good for the 1ZFE, too, at least when it is wheezing at high elevation.

I believe Slee is running 5.29s in his short bus. I have seen where several others are running 5.29s and havent yet heard of them breaking. Not that it hasnt happened. Just that I am not aware of thinner teeth being a practical problem.

Kevin,
Have you installed the 5.29's yet? If yes, what size tyres are you running and give us some driving impressions.
-B-

Running 37-12.50/17's with stock gears, the 5.29's are still safely in their original boxes.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom