switching from Slectro to Aisin locking hubs 76 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried to do this. I ordered a pair from two different vendors and they both wont fit. The locking mechanism hits the keeper ring. I even kind of wondering if i even need the keeper ring. It only seems to hold the body of the hub on but its bolted.

76 To 78 require a longer body than the 79 to 84 OEM hubs. Not many around, most are the shorter body. Do you know which style you have?

60 and 62 series as well as the solid axle mini trucks used the same shorter housing.

long-short-jpg.578024

I've got a set on my '78. They would be more correct if they were plain aluminum, but I wanted them red. You can still get the correct bolts from Toyota.

attachment.php

Don't you also need the later knuckles to match the birfs if you're solving it that way? With the later knuckles you also get the desirable large-pattern steering arms.

The difference is the length of the birfield stub.

I have had my stock 76 knuckles, spindles, etc next to those from an 83 FJ60 and the only difference is the birfield length.
I did use the Aisin hubs on my stock 76 parts with just bolting them up. It did chew up the end of the axle shaft where the circlip would go, but my axles were martacked so it was never an issue.

Swapped it all out for the FJ60 knuckles and 30 spline longs a few years ago.

Thanks for all of the replies. Well so Im not crazy. I obviously need the longer body. Do you think that it would be easier to find Warn Hubs with the longer body

Thanks for all of the replies. Well so Im not crazy. I obviously need the longer body. Do you think that it would be easier to find Warn Hubs with the longer body
oh forgot to ask whats "martacked"?

IIRC, you can buy the Warn hubs new from many different vendors. But they are significantly weaker than that AISIN (granted, I never broke one). I would probably get some later birfields to go with the aisin hubs, rather than getting the warn hubs, and keep the old birfields and selectro hubs as spares.

A Martack is where you put a tack weld on the splines of the inner axle on the diff side to keep it from riding inboard and the smooth spot disengaging the seal, which is what the circlip on the end of the inner shaft does.

Not sure if this helps but most stock Aisin hubs out here are of the longer variety. In fact, I've never even seen short Aisin hubs til just now.

The Warn hubs are $215 from 4 wheel parts.
You can get 27 spline birfields from Trail gear for $250 for the pair.
For me, it would be worth the extra $35 for the aisin hubs vs Warn hubs.

well as i said i ordered them from 2 different sources and both are too short. i might try some Warns
Ill look into the birfields i think i already have the larger knuckles. They came with the axles when i ordered them from Proffit Cruisers when i went spring over

Stock knuckles work with either hub. Hub length must match the birfield length. 76 thru 78 birfs 1/2" longer than other years, and therefore require the longer hubs. My solution was to source some used short Aisan hubs, rebuild them, and install Longfield axles, birfs and hub gears. Not the cheapest way to go, but a pretty bulletproof set up. It has done well for me.

If you decide to sell those aisin hubs let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom