switching dash, what would you pay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Switching to a dark grey dash......what is a used dash (complete worth) I have a chance to get it for 200.

I just bought a grey dash - used - in excellent condition for about $150, but I looked for quite a while before finding it (on this board). Since the overlay is over $100, I would say that $200 is not too much to pat for a good clean dash - complete with vents, radio bracket, and mounting screws.

M

thanks so much for the offer, but I will pass, trying to get a dashwithout much work needed. Once again, thanks so much.

Ok....this is kinda related...what all is involved in taking the dash cover off...I need to run some wires and think it would be easier without the dash cover on..Thanks for all your help

Tim

Tim,

taking the dash off isn't too difficult, just awkward. There are screws on the instrument panel, the HVAC bezel, and others that need removing. You'll have to disconnect your instrument cables (the speedo's the tough one to get back in).
There are nuts that hold the dash to the mounts that are kind of a tough reach, but I finally got them. I think I went through the glove compartment hole (you'll have to remove the door the the felt liner.
When I had it off, I replaced the foam lining around the vent pipes as it had deteriorated away. Just be sure, when putting it back on, that you line up the vents with their respective tubing and that they fit snugly. The foam helped with this.
Good luck!

Derek

pretty easy- remove instrument panel, remove glove box door and felt liner. now you have access to the (i think four) bolts on the under side of the dash. remove the nuts. now the last two bolts are located on the sides of the dash with the defrost vents. two bolts holding the vents in place. one bolt on each side is a little longer than the other and it also holds the dash in place. pretty straight forward, you just have to get things out of your way first.

one other thing that should be mentioned. unless you plan on ordering new vents don't even touch the old ones. i too have an 87 and when i removed the dash cover i bumped the backside of one of the vents and it crumbled into about ten pieces. the plastic toyota used to make these things becomes very brittle over time. BE CAREFUL!

Thanks for all your help...I already have the gauges out...they are getting replaced with the autometers I posted a few weeks ago... Guess once I get all the other projects moving along I will tear into that...I just wanna drive thios truck....I have it apart basicly since right after Moab 01 :frown: :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom