Switching between charging sources with different voltages for Yeti Power Station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Electrical newbee here.

I have a Yeti Power station in the back of my truck that I charge in two different ways through Yeti's proprietary high-power port input:

1) When the truck is on, power flows from the truck battery to a Victron DC-DC charger, which converts the ~14V voltage to 24V and then feeds the current to the Yeti's input.

2) When the truck is off, I unplug the Victron's output cord from the Yeti and plug in Yeti's 600W AC adapter, which feeds 40V into the Yeti.

I don't want to have to keep unplugging one cable and plugging the other one in when I have the truck parked in the garage vs when I'm driving. Can anyone help me figure out how to create some kind of switch between the 24V and 40V DC power sources. I'm open to manual or automatic switching.

Thank you!

Electrical newbee here.

I have a Yeti Power station in the back of my truck that I charge in two different ways through Yeti's proprietary high-power port input:

1) When the truck is on, power flows from the truck battery to a Victron DC-DC charger, which converts the ~14V voltage to 24V and then feeds the current to the Yeti's input.

2) When the truck is off, I unplug the Victron's output cord from the Yeti and plug in Yeti's 600W AC adapter, which feeds 40V into the Yeti.

I don't want to have to keep unplugging one cable and plugging the other one in when I have the truck parked in the garage vs when I'm driving. Can anyone help me figure out how to create some kind of switch between the 24V and 40V DC power sources. I'm open to manual or automatic switching.

Thank you!
This is the EXACT setup I have with my Yeti 1500X. I guess you could just create a "Y" adapter with an anderson connector that goes into the high wattage input and add a DPDT switch. Me? I just swap the cables.

This is the EXACT setup I have with my Yeti 1500X. I guess you could just create a "Y" adapter with an anderson connector that goes into the high wattage input and add a DPDT switch. Me? I just swap the cables.

Looks like the Blue Sea 9009 is an AC-rated version of what could work. I just shot them an email to inquire whether it can handle the DC specs in question.

UPDATE: Blue Sea say their manufacturer said yes, as long as the amp limit is respected.

Last edited:
Looks like the Blue Sea 9009 is an AC-rated version of what could work. I just shot them an email to inquire whether it can handle the DC specs in question.

UPDATE: Blue Sea say their manufacturer said yes, as long as the amp limit is respected.
Interesting idea making it an electrical switch. I'd be curious to see how it works out for you. Good luck!

Why not something like this? I haven’t done this but can’t think of a reason it wouldnt work.

uxcell 3pcs JD-2912 5 Pin DC 48V 40A Universal Car Vehicle Motor Fuse Relay Switch Power with Harness https://a.co/d/8InVF0U

in this case you’d make the following connections:

Pin 30 to the positive input of your yeti power bank.
Pin 87a to the 24v pos output of your Victron
Pins 87 and 85 to the 40v output of your Yeti charger
Pin 86 to a terminal strip with all the negatives from these devices

This would make it so anytime the yeti charger isn't plugged in, the victron would be connected through to the yeti, but plug in the yeti charger and the relay will trip and switch over to the yeti charger to the yeti power bank.

Why not something like this? I haven’t done this but can’t think of a reason it wouldnt work.

uxcell 3pcs JD-2912 5 Pin DC 48V 40A Universal Car Vehicle Motor Fuse Relay Switch Power with Harness https://a.co/d/8InVF0U

in this case you’d make the following connections:

Pin 30 to the positive input of your yeti power bank.
Pin 87a to the 24v pos output of your Victron
Pins 87 and 85 to the 40v output of your Yeti charger
Pin 86 to a terminal strip with all the negatives from these devices

This would make it so anytime the yeti charger isn't plugged in, the victron would be connected through to the yeti, but plug in the yeti charger and the relay will trip and switch over to the yeti charger to the yeti power bank.

Thank you, @lx200inAR. I went the manual switching route with a DPDT on-off-on switch, but I've book marked this for future applications!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom