Switch oil viscosity in winter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who runs lower viscosity motor oil in the winter?

I've been using Valvoline Maxlife (dino) 10w30 for almost a year, and been very happy with the (lack of) consumption and overall behavior of my engine.

On startup and high rpms, my oil pressure guage reads at the top of the end of the normal range. At a warm idle, it sits at the bottom end of the range. (I realize this is a very crude measure of oil pressure.)

Just wondering if anyone would recommend a different oil for the cold Utah winters around here.

Hayes

P.S. I've been reading a bit on bobistheoil guy, but I thought I'd solicit opinions here as well.

Hayes

For the last 6 years, I've run Mobil1 15w-50 all year. This year I'm running Mobil1 0w-40 all year. So I don't really change it in winter, but my climate is pretty mild. A viscosity range like the 0w-40 would be ideal in a cold winter climate like Utah.

In my FJ60, I run Chevron 20w-50 or Delo 15w-40 in the warmer months and Rotella 5w-40 in the colder ones.

To be honest, the Cruisers don't seem to care!

Hayes--

I run Shell Rotella 15-40 or 5-40 during the summer months and then I switch to M1 5-30 for the winter.

I've noticed that the thinner weight oils are good for cold weather use, while the heavier ones are better for the hot summers....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom