Swiss Poverty Pack Barn Door HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would maybe have it shipped to Halifax and drive home from there (I live in Canada).
Funny you should mention that--a Canadian who assisted me in this process is doing exactly that with the HZJ105 he just bought. He had planned to have it shipped to Nanaimo (like I did) since the port is close to his house, but for some reason (not really sure) no RoRo ships are coming to Nanaimo now. Maybe they'll come back later? Who knows, but his car is on the way, and the only port he can use in Canada is Halifax. So...road trip, I guess.

I’m really impressed you got these photos of the RORO process.
The photos I posted of my car driving off the ship upon arrival are actually stills from a video, I was just too lazy the other night when I posted to bother uploading the video to YouTube so I could post it here. But here it is:

Glad to see you made it home Steve, this 80 is definitely the nicest cruiser I have seen in person. Excited to see what you do with it!

Congratulations with getting it home. You left out the bit where you bought some projects before hand, that's my favorite part cause it gave me a LHD Donor for my conversion :) .

2020-06-24 11.10.29.jpg

Finally had some time to get outside and do some cleanup and assessment today. First project was to remove the miserable cluster of a trailer coupling off the back. Besides it being ugly, I was concerned I'd whack my shins on it. The majority of it came off with just four bolts, so not too bad. The remainder is welded on, and will probably require the replacement of the rear frame member to put it right. That's for another day.

Here's how the tail end of the car looked when I got it:
circles on tail.jpg

Circled in blue is the hitch that's now gone.

Circled in green are the "450 tdi" badges that were apparently added by the Swiss distributor--I've never seen an 80-series marketed as a "450" anywhere else. It doesn't even make any sense. There's nothing 450 about the car. lol So I took them off.

Circled in red are some random-ass holes that a PO put in, probably to help hold the license plate on securely or something. Surprisingly bad engineering for a Swiss guy. I cleaned them up and put a small (M4) button head machine screw in each, sealed with silicon and backed with a nylock nut. Should be fine and it'll be behind the license plate anyway.

Circled in yellow are the license plate mounting holes that came from the factory. There are captured nuts behind, which is a nice touch, but a PO (probably the same guy that randomly drilled the other holes) used big sheet metal screws in them, rather than machine screws, and messed up the threads. They cleaned up OK with a tap.

Here's how it looks now:

rear no hitch.jpg

Last edited:
I also went around the car removing stickers. Europeans seem to love them. There were insurance stickers, shipping stickers, service stickers. They're all gone now. Here's a sample of Swiss handiwork:

dash stickers.jpg

And what it looks like now:

dash stickers gone.jpg

I also went around the car removing stickers. Europeans seem to love them. There were insurance stickers, shipping stickers, service stickers. They're all gone now. Here's a sample of Swiss handiwork:

View attachment 3055129

And what it looks like now:

View attachment 3055130

I would have left or relocated the clear little pouch, great place to store stuff especially if you get held up. They will get away with a few items but you'll still have a few other cards/ID.

I’m from Switzerland. Emil Frey AG is the sole importer of Toyotas into Switzerland and hence all the stickers with that name on them. I have the CH sticker on both by land cruisers. You going to keep it on the back? Gives the truck some provenance.

The CH sticker on the back is probably as old as the truck, so it would probably be difficult to remove anyway. I was planning on leaving it on there partly for that reason and partly for provenance, as you suggest.

BTW, I kept all the Emil Frey stickers, they're just not on the car anymore. I have all the service records and other documentation for this car in a file folder, and the Emil Frey stickers went in there.

@ToothDr PM me if you want to come have a look at it.

It translates from German as: "Headlight adjustment control switch"
and from French as: "Headlight beam level adjustment switch"

So, yeah, I guess it is. I haven't messed with it yet.

It translates from German as: "Headlight adjustment control switch"
and from French as: "Headlight beam level adjustment switch"

So, yeah, I guess it is. I haven't messed with it yet.

It is similar to the tundra then, based off load you can aim your headlights so you do not blind people.

The CH sticker on the back is probably as old as the truck, so it would probably be difficult to remove anyway. I was planning on leaving it on there partly for that reason and partly for provenance, as you suggest.

BTW, I kept all the Emil Frey stickers, they're just not on the car anymore. I have all the service records and other documentation for this car in a file folder, and the Emil Frey stickers went in there.

@ToothDr PM me if you want to come have a look at it.
Nice. The first Toyotas were imported into Switzerland in 1967 via Emil Frey AG
I believe they still hold sole rights to the Toyota franchise in that country.

I’d love the see the truck. Will shoot you a PM

Peter

Australia is the land of the pov-pack 60/75/80 then all of a sudden pov-pack went the way of the dodo and it was all snob-factor gx/gxl/vx and similar with 100/105, 120, 150, 300 and 300. Can get 79's like a pov-pack but you have to wait over 2 years to get one from ordering.

Barn door DX 80's are very common here. 1hz, barn doors, no power anything, 5 spd manual, no cdl, fixed glass cargo side windows, and some did not have AC.

A used Jap-import 1hdft motor here costs about A$15k or more. A 1hdt is over A$10k.

In Australia the original importer was Theiss toyota. I don't know when it became TMCA (Toyota Motor Corporation of Australia) and Toyota Japan took over the Theiss business to integrate it into Toyota proper.

Last edited:

Australia is the land of the pov-pack 60/75/80 then all of a sudden pov-pack went the way of the dodo and it was all snob-factor gx/gxl/vx and similar with 100/105, 120, 150, 300 and 300. Can get 79's like a pov-pack but you have to wait over 2 years to get one from ordering.

Barn door DX 80's are very common here. 1hz, barn doors, no power anything, 5 spd manual, no cdl, fixed glass cargo side windows, and some did not have AC.

A used Jap-import 1hdft motor here costs about A$15k or more. A 1hdt is over A$10k.

In Australia the original importer was Theiss toyota. I don't know when it became TMCA (Toyota Motor Corporation of Australia) and Toyota Japan took over the Theiss business to integrate it into Toyota proper.

I think most of the cruisers in the GCC would be G grade or (DX) designation for your market.

Barn doors are very common here. Actually, most cruisers 105, 100, 80, 60, 55 and 4X are swing out (barn door) equipped.

Any updates on this 80? I'd love to get a euro spec HDJ80 24Valve G trim.

Not much to report lately. Just been driving it. I have managed to get myself into a jig about tire choices, but I'll work through it. Need to find a "Goldilocks" tire for the wheels I've chosen and the gearing the truck has.

Probably won't start any major work on it until the weather warms up (I don't have a heated garage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom