Swapping wheels: Center-cap fitment issue - Shorter Grease Cap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tat4x4.com.ar
Hello all,

My 98 LC 100 came to me with 20 in Toyota Sequoia rims/tires. The rears fit fine but the fronts had the center cap cut out to fit the axle grease cap... which I didn't really like much.

I recently got my hands on a factory pull-off set of Tundra Platinunm wheels and tires and I thought this time the issue would be averted since these wheels have a slightly bulging center cap. However, I fitted these yesterday and I'm running into the same issue.

Before I go to town with the dremmell and cut a hole on the centercaps, does anyone know if I could possibly fit a slightly shorter grease cap on the front axle? I believe there should be enough room in there and I only need about 5 mm or so, but someone with experience here may save me from going on a wild goose chase.

Any inputs?

For reference, here is a picture of the grease cap I am talking about:

grease%2Bcap.JPG

Before I go to town with the dremmell and cut a hole on the centercaps, does anyone know if I could possibly fit a slightly shorter grease cap on the front axle? I believe there should be enough room in there and I only need about 5 mm or so, but someone with experience here may save me from going on a wild goose chase.

Any inputs?
Mine is an '01 LX. Front grease caps are about 1.1" high...taking a swag at your picture, it looks like yours extends more than that. You might get on the web, maybe Sewell Lexus, and see if the PN's are the same for yours and mine.

hth

Steve

Well, crisis averted... I swung by my local dealership and ordered a pair of new caps ($8 for the pair). While in the process, I asked to talk to one of the techs.

He said he did not know about a shorter version of the cap, but was certain there was plenty of space between the cap and the end of the axle/joint. After some deliberation, I decided to take the cap out and flatten it a bit, then fit it again - Voila!

I must have taken out about 3/4 mm, which makes the cap wider and therefore still interfere a bit with some small tabs inside the center cap that are there to hold the toyota logo in place. In any case, after some work on the center cap filing down a small portion of the tab, the center cap fit perfectly.

Pictures soon... raining right now.

Thanks guys for the input!

nice, had always wondered about just swapping for a flatter dust cap as auto parts stores seem to sell a variety of sizes but this is a nice bigger hammer solution.

hello i am curious what size tires you have on your 20's.

Great wheel choice. Thanks for sharing the tech info.

hello i am curious what size tires you have on your 20's.
They are the factory size Tundra Platinum wheels and tires. Size is 275x55R20... not my first choice since they are a bit too large. However, these were less for the set of wheels, nuts, and tires (Factory pull-offs - Craigslist) than new tires from any tire shop when you include mounting, balancing and disposal of the old stuff.

Nice have you taken them off roading at all? do they feel like they could easily get curb rash?

looks good. i did the same thing some 18 " tundra factory pulloffs on a certified truck. definitely cheaper and i am not into too many custom wheels on land cruisers. i am just considering painting them so their not on yet.

I have 20" bbs tundra wheels on mine, and the wheels will not fit over the front hubs without spacers due to the design of the bbs wheels.

The only way to fit the 20" bbs wheels is with a spacer for everyone's info. Here is a pic of mine on my 20's
oOW5mE1.jpg

^ Great info!

I had seen a set of rims like these and was close to pulling the trigger on them. Did not end up getting them since the BFGs that were on them were junk and the guy still wanted $1000 for them. I ended up paying $800 for the set I got including tires

Well, crisis averted... I swung by my local dealership and ordered a pair of new caps ($8 for the pair). While in the process, I asked to talk to one of the techs.

He said he did not know about a shorter version of the cap, but was certain there was plenty of space between the cap and the end of the axle/joint. After some deliberation, I decided to take the cap out and flatten it a bit, then fit it again - Voila!

I must have taken out about 3/4 mm, which makes the cap wider and therefore still interfere a bit with some small tabs inside the center cap that are there to hold the toyota logo in place. In any case, after some work on the center cap filing down a small portion of the tab, the center cap fit perfectly.

Pictures soon... raining right now.

Thanks guys for the input!
Hey andres there a reason you simply didnt leave the cap off? i was told by someone at a shop i could just leave it off?

Hey andres there a reason you simply didnt leave the cap off? i was told by someone at a shop i could just leave it off?
You can definitely leave the cap off...although you can obviously expect the grease inside will flow out of the hub and make a good mess...not to mention the bearings will then be starved for lubricant.

I would find another "shop". Immediately. :eek: :doh:

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah i was thinking that. The guys at autozone are a hit or miss. The shop helping me is going to see whatnthey can do.
I think will get slightly mashed down as well. Cant find a smaller cap.

I have 20" bbs tundra wheels on mine, and the wheels will not fit over the front hubs without spacers due to the design of the bbs wheels.

The only way to fit the 20" bbs wheels is with a spacer for everyone's info. Here is a pic of mine on my 20's
oOW5mE1.jpg
how big of a spacer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom