Swapping Transmission w/out removing gas tank, FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to just drop the transmission and transfer case without removing the gas tank? Most vehicles, you just unbolt the engine and transmission, unbolt the hangers and lower the whole business.

Is there a reason that Haynes advises taking the gas tank out first?

Thanks,

Mark
78 FJ40

does it really recommend that?! the presence of a cross member ahead of the gas tank seems to diminish any advantages...

i'm going to assume that the layout of my 82 diesel is similar and offer that I definitely took the tranny/transfer out without removing the gas tank. didn't even come close to interfering.

Transmission Removal

Haynes specifies to take the pass seat out, take the tank out, take the tranny hump out. Why? I haven't gotten that far to figure it out. I have the shifter out so far..

I do have a transmission jack and I have replaced transmissions and clutches on several vehicles including an 86 F150. Why should this one be that hard??

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Haynes specifies to take the pass seat out, take the tank out, take the tranny hump out. Why?

So that you can remove the tunnel, and then use a cherry picker or other means to lift the transmission and transfer case assembly from above, and slide it rearward from the flywheel housing and then lower the assembly to the floor.

Last edited:
You don't really have to remove the gas tank; just lift it up enough to get the tranny hump out. It can be done entirely from below, but you may have to remove the rear engine mounts get enough clearance and you will either need a tranny jack or arms like Popeye.

All I did last time when my release bearing went bad was loosen the 2 bolts that hold the tranny. Then i removed the rubber "pucks" that are placed between the tranny and frame mounts. This gave me the necessary space to pull out my tranny + tcase.

i have done more than a few tranny swaps and all i do is undo the crossmember and take off the shifter and out it comes

I have done it with a tranny jack and lowering the rear of the engine, but in all honesty its well worth the time to take the tank, heater(optional) and shift levers out and remove the tunnel. easy to get at fasteners, and allows you to use a 3 point chain lift to get the thing balanced and lined up right so re-install is a snap. nothing worse than fighting with the heavy tranny and case from below all while trying to keep the T/O bearing on the clutch fork, and getting the tranny input shaft to shoot in straight.

my $.02

use a cheery picker or other means to lift the transmission.

Yes, Steve, I have always been impressed at how "cheery" my picker is with its bright orange paint. Just imagine how it would brighten up your day if it was day glo pink!

:flipoff2:

Yes, Steve, I have always been impressed at how "cheery" my picker is with its bright orange paint. Just imagine how it would brighten up your day if it was day glo pink!

:flipoff2:

Maybe he has the English style picker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom