swapping parts from an f to a 2f???

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by red dirt squirt, Jul 28, 2005.

1. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

ok so i am getting some parts from an f and i was curious as to whether they will fit my 2f or not. i assume that they will but i am not sure. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!!

oil pump
    water pump
    fuel pump(mechanical)
    distributor

2. bustanutley

bustanutley

3. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

great link....thanks man. that answers one of my questions.....

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are currently running a clutch fan, the WP will not work as stated above, but the direct drive 6 blade fan will work just fine. The oilpump has a different pickup and may interfere with the baffles in your oilpan, but you can just cut the baffle so it will clear. The distributor will swap. and the fuel pump should work just fine, but will probably not have the return fitting on it.
    GL

Ed

5. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

Don't use the oil pupm. The f oilpump has a physically smaller 'pump' on it and moves less oil (= lower oil pressure). Asking for oiling problems!
    Also, I suspect you may have issues with some of the pipework within the sump - though thats solvable.

6. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:

Never thought about that as the only F I have dealt with was a '74 which had the same oiling as a 2F. But on an early F only half the oil went thru the filter, not sure if that makes a difference or not as they all oiled the same things, albeit different routes. I think volume output had to be the same???

Dunno

Ed

7. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

I also had a 1.5F - oil pump definately smaller. (the rotor is shorter)

8. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

okay thanks...i'll hold off on the oil pump then. the one i have is fine for now i guess. here's one for ya. the distributor is a mallory magnetic points distributor....what advantage will i have running this compaired to the stock dissy?

9. bustanutley

bustanutley

I had one of those, sucked hard, melted cap and rotors like it was its job. But that was around the time that I had voltage regulator issues, so the two may be correlated I don’t remember if I had it on after I finally figured out the voltage regulator issue or not (many moons ago). I put on a stock vacuum advance points distributor and haven’t looked back.

10. rdublin

rdublin SILVER Star

Media:
    I've run a Mallory mag pickup (centrifugal advance only) for about eight years. It replaced the stock dissy that wore out in my '72. Haven't had to do anything except periodically (once a year) clean some build up off the rotor contact points inside the cap. I set the timing when I installed it and have not had to touch it since.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.