Swapping OEM power steering from a 1979 FJ40 into a 1983 FJ40 (steering column at firewall different **see pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I am wanting to swap an OEM power steering setup from a 1979 FJ40 into a 1983 FJ40. I know the column must be changed. I am planning on doing a straight swap and at first looked pretty easy. However I notice the mountings at the firewall are a different style. So is this a "no go" or can anyone give me recommendations please. Can the shafts be interchanged?

First picture is of the 1979 power steering column at firewall. Second is of the 1983 manual steering at firewall.

Thanks!

2A619F08-BEC3-463B-AE9F-8EBAB30A8012.jpeg

8514F1CE-21BC-4311-8984-3519630BF071.jpeg

You might try to remove the steering shafts from the columns and see if they are interchangable. Or can you just swap the steering boxes. Idk, Just throwing out ideas.

Chris,
I’m going to do the same with my 82 and the 81 donor. I need to look and see if there are differences there.

79 would have a 1 piece column thru the firewall
81+ has a 2 piece column that is when the mount at the firewall changed

you could use the later 2 piece column but you would need to shorten and re-install the dowel pin in the lower part of the shaft

there was an extensive thread here in tech many years ago about this.

Thanks! What is strange to me is I have often times in the past used a deluxe power steering kit from JT Outfitters. I have used this kit in several 79 - 83 FJ40's. You must remove the oem mounting pedestal and replace it with their provided pedestal. It works like a charm and no need to change or modify the steering column.

I am wondering if I could buy this pedestal and swap the power steering without removing the steering column. Since you must drill your own holes with this setup seems you could move the box up to the position you need to meet the column shaft.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The reason for the pedestal it to rotate the mini truck box to match the angle of the 40 series steering column beside length. I'm sure someone would trade a mini truck steering box for a 40 series steering box, myself included. Also interested in your column if you end up not using it.

Shortening the lower shaft should be that big a deal. That is the plan route for my 79. Have a couple collapsible columns and section of the firewall with the correct pattern. The collapsible column is a safety feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom