Swapping my differentials to locking differentials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year1993
PartLocker Truck
Wire, Floor (82161)82161-60042
Wire, Floor, No. 3 (82163)82163-60051
Wire, Frame, No.2 (82165)82165-60080
Wire, Frame (82164)82164-60012
Differential Lock ECU89533-60030
Dash Bulb (2x)90981-11018
Dash Bulb holder (2x)83101-14040
Differential Lock Switch84725-60020
Then you earn
Diff Lock Label (Controlled item to order?)41991-60061

1638208067685.png

hey I am doing this right now. But I am not modifying the diffs, I am swapping entire axle housings.

you need 4 harnesses, the ecu, the switch for the dash. 3 light bulbs for the dash and the axles (or 3rd members it sounds like since you want to keep/modify your existing axles)
I am also swapping the axles.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a non-stock wiring approach you can build the harnesses using a switch, pair of relays, plus wire and associated materials. Might be cheaper and easier than sourcing OEM locker wiring paraphernalia. Wiring diagrams for the lockers can be found on-line. When installed the 80 series rear locked axle into my FJ60 I fabbed up the locker harness plus an led to indicate the locked state of the differential.

This thread is really timely for me as I am about to start the axle swapping process. I have a donor 95 with working locking diffs (it can be driven and I've tested them). I am transferring both axles to my non-locker 96. Thanks for all the info above, very useful. I assume the diff lock wire assembly is already present in my 96, please correct me if I am wrong. I am sure I will be asking a few questions as I go through this process.

eQr8D7z%QrSCMxif4cLVKA.jpg

I don’t think it is - I just confirmed in my 93 to my 94. If you had a non locked lx450 then yes, wires are there but only the main body harness, not the rear harness or the abs sensor harness

@Widenbruck - you have the dash prewired & the FR locker connection on the firewall.

You either need swap floor harness or add the wires (swap make for 1:banana: -tech job.
Esp since you have locker axle shells too.

The main floor harness, the intermediary harness that ties both RR corners, and the FR & RR axle pigtails are the 4 harnesses you need.

Other than that, just the ECU/relay box, rotary knob & pull the cluster to add the bulbs & holders.

It’s like playing with dirty/greasy Legos - lemon squeezey having a donor rig.

Remember the lockers only engage in L range w/o CDL switch & pin 7 mod - if you haven’t played w/ the lockers / locked rig much yet, don’t worry if nothing happens in H range.

Once you verify you did the basic swap right, then add in the CDL & clip pin-7 wire (black w/ blue trace).
—Keep variables to a minimum incrementally so you can backtrack/isolate stuff. ;)

Well lucky for him he's got a donor rig he can strip.

Seems like a lot of work when arb's are available. Or Eaton e-lockers.

I had ARB’s in a prev 80 (have/had 3) ‘97’s - 2LC’s & a 450).

ARB’s are good, save blowing the air/oil o-ring - but if aftermarket I’d go Harrop, no question.

But he’s got a donor rig so moot point.

I had ARB’s in a prev 80 (have/had 3) ‘97’s - 2LC’s & a 450).

ARB’s are good, save blowing the air/oil o-ring - but if aftermarket I’d go Harrop, no question.

But he’s got a donor rig so moot point.

Agreed.

@Widenbruck - you have the dash prewired & the FR locker connection on the firewall.

You either need swap floor harness or add the wires (swap make for 1:banana: -tech job.
Esp since you have locker axle shells too.

The main floor harness, the intermediary harness that ties both RR corners, and the FR & RR axle pigtails are the 4 harnesses you need.

Other than that, just the ECU/relay box, rotary knob & pull the cluster to add the bulbs & holders.

It’s like playing with dirty/greasy Legos - lemon squeezey having a donor rig.

Remember the lockers only engage in L range w/o CDL switch & pin 7 mod - if you haven’t played w/ the lockers / locked rig much yet, don’t worry if nothing happens in H range.

Once you verify you did the basic swap right, then add in the CDL & clip pin-7 wire (black w/ blue trace).
—Keep variables to a minimum incrementally so you can backtrack/isolate stuff. ;)
Thanks for the tips! I do have a CDL switch installed.

This thread is really timely for me as I am about to start the axle swapping process. I have a donor 95 with working locking diffs (it can be driven and I've tested them). I am transferring both axles to my non-locker 96. Thanks for all the info above, very useful. I assume the diff lock wire assembly is already present in my 96, please correct me if I am wrong. I am sure I will be asking a few questions as I go through this process.

View attachment 2861760
Some of the wiring is there. The wiring behind the dash for the switch and ECU in the kick panel (IIRC). You will need to replace or augement the wiring harness that runs down the drivers side, the one from the jack and tool compartment to behind the reat bumper then bumper to actuator as well as the small harness from the engine compartment to the front actuator. I have a thread someone on here about all the.

@LINUS tell me more about the harrop. I just bought a 94 80 with 99k miles. Not triple locked but I couldn't pass it up at that mileage. So i figured I'd add ARB air lockers. Will be adding a compressor anyway, but harrop elockers sounds interesting. I don't know much about them. Can they be installed in an 80 without factory elockers?

@LINUS tell me more about the harrop. I just bought a 94 80 with 99k miles. Not triple locked but I couldn't pass it up at that mileage. So i figured I'd add ARB air lockers. Will be adding a compressor anyway, but harrop elockers sounds interesting. I don't know much about them. Can they be installed in an 80 without factory elockers?
They can be and if u want to see what is involved, look up otram Harrop on YouTube and he shows you how he does it

They can be and if u want to see what is involved, look up otram Harrop on YouTube and he shows you how he does it
Thanks - I jumped the gun a little on that last post. Have since found several threads discussing it. I'll check out that video.

I have done this too, but I swapped the entire axles. On my non locked 1995 80 the front locker harness and driver kick panel to passenger kick panel harness were both already in place. I needed the switch, locker ecu, the axles, and the wiring from ds kick panel to rear, and the harness from ds rear to the axle. Pretty sure that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom