Swapping my differentials to locking differentials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a write up on here on swapping to locking diffs? Where to find harnesses and modules to remove from the diner rig? I’ve done a lot of searching and can’t find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Been done alot - I didn’t do write-ups but search ‘e-locker retrofit’ & similar variations on the term w/ my username -

I’ve answered q’s for alot of people but my wheelhouse is the 95-97’s.

IIRC they changed minor things between the OBD1 & OBD2 harnesses - anyhow all I can recite is the later ones.

LMK if you still find nothing - or if you’re in a earlier 80 someone else can give better info.

Unless you have a donor rig lined up, I’d sooner do a CDL & RR Harrop & get a winch. But just an opinion if you don’t have a donor already.

Not sure how you search but just FYI, I hardly ever use our forum’s search engine. Instead, I use google and specify what it is I’m looking for and I always get good hits to Mud.

For example: differential swap 80 series land cruiser or e-locking diff swap 80 series land cruiser or any of these variations, just specify “80 series land cruiser” and it’ll bring a lot of great resources from this forum in an east to follow format.

There's plenty of info here.
I've also retro fitted them and posted snippets about it.

Its easy enough if you have all the parts, and the skills.
Requires some modification to housings. Cutting, welding grinding, drilling, tapping etc
I'd say allow a solid weekend to do both at once

I agree with above, if you don't already have a set of OEM lockers, go aftermarket. ARB, TJM or Eaton's
Or lunch box locker in the rear, selectable locker in the front

lunchbox rear 99% of the time is all you need. about 500 bucks once you buy seals and fluids, maybe 6 hours of time you first go round... super easy and just amazing.

no way i would go to the trouble of swapping in factory locked axles but i sell them all the time to people that are hell bent on it.

I’d also go aftermarket locker/s over the expense of OEM. You can always wire them to run off an OEM switch for the factory look. The money you save could be used towards a re-gear at the same time.
I’m getting both axles and everything else I need for $500. I’m getting it too cheap to do anything else.

My biggest questions is are where the harness runs on the diner rig, is it easy to get to, where is the module, stuff like that.

My biggest questions is are where the harness runs on the diner rig, is it easy to get to, where is the module, stuff like that.

What year is the donor rig & what year are you swapping into?

-I’ll tag out if you’re not in the ’95-‘97 USDM, let others do the talking.

Locker ECU is in the footwell along with the fuse panels, relays etc.
I believe switch wiring will be in place behind the dash in all models, that part is plug and play.

Not sure about harness provisions to the diffs. When I retrofitted lockers, I built a harness myself, and used relays to control them

Locker ECU is in the footwell along with the fuse panels, relays etc.
I believe switch wiring will be in place behind the dash in all models, that part is plug and play.

Not sure about harness provisions to the diffs. When I retrofitted lockers, I built a harness myself, and used relays to control them
Locker ECU is PS kickpanel & about size of cigarette pack, not same side as fuseblock/relays in USDM / LHD.

Harness runs down DS, for LHD 80’s.

Not sure how you search but just FYI, I hardly ever use our forum’s search engine. Instead, I use google and specify what it is I’m looking for and I always get good hits to Mud.

For example: differential swap 80 series land cruiser or e-locking diff swap 80 series land cruiser or any of these variations, just specify “80 series land cruiser” and it’ll bring a lot of great resources from this forum in an east to follow format.
If you search site:forum.ih8mud.com (search term)
Without the parentheses it'll only search this site. Very handy.

Donor rig is a 94, my rig is a 96.

wiring may be semi-fun then. I’m out / lurk as IDK the exact cutoff between the minor wiring changes.

Is your dashboard the exact same shape as the donor - or are they different shapes & some layout is different?

I agree with above, if you don't already have a set of OEM lockers, go aftermarket. ARB, TJM or Eaton's
Or lunch box locker in the rear, selectable locker in the front.

I have never heard of the TJM lockers, are they am electric selectable locker?

hey I am doing this right now. But I am not modifying the diffs, I am swapping entire axle housings.

you need 4 harnesses, the ecu, the switch for the dash. 3 light bulbs for the dash and the axles (or 3rd members it sounds like since you want to keep/modify your existing axles)

@Equinsu ocha
660EF1E0-2C8E-4E2D-B208-51F83F1820F8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom