Swapping AVMs to aisin? Is it worth it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m starting to prep the 80 for a sand hollow trip in March and I’m trying to weed out all the possible issues. I have the marks part time kit and it seems like the AVM fans are few and far between, but no one explicitly says why. Are they made out of butter, does the engagement suck for some people? So far they’re fine but they’ve really yet to get a hot supper because the wheeling in Montana is so mild. So would it be worth it to swap to Asian hubs on a locked, supercharged, 80 on 35s???

My buddy has had avm for idk 10 years, locked arb in the front on 42s, they should be the first thing to break in his set up. If I were you I would buy set Asians and keep um for if the avms snap

Well I’m moving on to Aisins. I torqued the AVM hub to 26lbs and it split.
118E6425-C9C5-43CD-8F97-7CC48286880D.jpeg

I have a set of the "heavy duty"
avm hubs, I got those over the standard version as they're supposedly better quality. no problems with engagement or anything else I'm aware of.

I have a set of the "heavy duty"
avm hubs, I got those over the standard version as they're supposedly better quality. no problems with engagement or anything else I'm aware of.
I didn’t have any problems with my standards ones, I actually decided to keep them. Well until today

edit: these might have been the heavy duty ones

Is this what you have 01loser?

yes, I bought them as an option with the marks part time kit. cost a bit more but I couldn't run aisin according to them with the kit because of cv length.

I'm more than happy with them, no problems at all.

yes, I bought them as an option with the marks part time kit. cost a bit more but I couldn't run aisin according to them with the kit because of cv length.

I'm more than happy with them, no problems at all.
Ok, the previous owner of mine installed the same kit. I have rcvs in the front and should probably look into the shaft length for the aisins

I have heard there are fake copies of the AVM hubs in the wild... apparently Marks4wd haven’t had a single broken heavy duty hub come back with failure... (although that is the word of a sales guy)

Ok, the previous owner of mine installed the same kit. I have rcvs in the front and should probably look into the shaft length for the aisins
I believe RCV birfs are short length, and you can run any of the applicable 6-lug Aisin Locking hubs no sweat, like the FHT-002 or black HD.

@cruiseroutfit has a really good break down and deacription in their thread.

switched to Aisins when the AVM's were corroded and gross after only a few years. Aisins still look like a million bucks.

I have heard there are fake copies of the AVM hubs in the wild... apparently Marks4wd haven’t had a single broken heavy duty hub come back with failure... (although that is the word of a sales guy)
Mine came from their part time kit😅 so they either sold me a fake one, or sales guy isn’t in the loop

Now I am wondering what's on my rig. I thought it seemed weird that the locking part of my hub seems to be plastic. I will take a close up picture tomorrow in the light. I am guessing I have these AVM's. Maybe someone can tell me what I have tomorrow....

My AVMs started weeping grease on my fourth trip out. Swapped to Aisin eight years ago, and just locked up last Saturday. Never an issue

These have been on my rig a long time and I know they have seen some heavy use by the PO. The axles are Nitro axles, that is all I know.

Are they AVM?

16129149047334055279008145079545.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom