Swapping AVMs to aisin? Is it worth it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They look like HD AVMs without the sticker put on
Awesome, thanks. The part time kit was done along time ago by slee according to the PO. I bet the sticker fell off. This rig has been through the ringer in its previous life. Knowing who used to own it and seeing some videos of they way it was driven at sand hollow, I have no problem trusting these hubs.

Awesome, thanks. The part time kit was done along time ago by slee according to the PO. I bet the sticker fell off. This rig has been through the ringer in its previous life. Knowing who used to own it and seeing some videos of they way it was driven at sand hollow, I have no problem trusting these hubs.
It seems like they either last forever, or they’re junk. It sucks that I’m the latter😂 but I’m glad they’ve been working for you!

It seems like they either last forever, or they’re junk. It sucks that I’m the latter😂 but I’m glad they’ve been working for you!

Maybe they got out sourced at some point. I wouldn't be surprised....

Also, I am in a pretty warm climate, I wonder if temps play a role. I remember locking the factory hubs on my fj62 years ago one really cold winter morning in Salt Lake and I literally broke the piece that rotates. Granted I was using pliers to lock them because they were so stiff in the cold lol.

Maybe they got out sourced at some point. I wouldn't be surprised....

Also, I am in a pretty warm climate, I wonder if temps play a role. I remember locking the factory hubs on my fj62 years ago one really cold winter morning in Salt Lake and I literally broke the piece that rotates. Granted I was using pliers to lock them because they were so stiff in the cold lol.
The base of mine split when I was torquing the 12mm nut down. I think mine was just cast on a Friday evening.

AISIN for the win :D

And on a heavy 80 being used heavily off-road, I'd really consider a set of HD gears for them. We (CruiserOutfittes/CruiserTeq.com) offer a variety of AISIN hubs and can pre-load them with HD chromoly inner gears too!

AISIN for the win :D

And on a heavy 80 being used heavily off-road, I'd really consider a set of HD gears for them. We (CruiserOutfittes/CruiserTeq.com) offer a variety of AISIN hubs and can pre-load them with HD chromoly inner gears too!
Thanks for the info, that’s good to know. I was actually looking on cruiserteq today for Aisins!

Thanks for the info, that’s good to know. I was actually looking on cruiserteq today for Aisins!

Let us know if you have any questions! We stock more (qty and colors) AISIN's than anyone stateside and can ship as soon as today!

Pick a color :D

1613616630044.png

These and many more here:

The *exact* same thing happened to one of my AVM hubs. Replaced them with Aisin and have had zero problems since.

Unfortunately, I can't find any receipt for them, so I can't go down the "maybe they're fake" rabbit hole.
Mine came from marks4wd😅 I hope they’re not selling fake hubs. The Aisins have been perfect though, I have zero complaints

Hey Kurt, do you know when the HUB FHT002 are going to be back in stock?
@cruiseroutfit

I'm currently traveling outside the country so I can't get a super accurate answer for a day or two. We do have massive amounts of goods in bound from AISIN right now. HUBFHT002's are certainly on there. You can also run any of the other colors on the 80.

Let us know if you have any questions! We stock more (qty and colors) AISIN's than anyone stateside and can ship as soon as today!

Pick a color :D

View attachment 2588542

These and many more here:
Why does Marks say you can not use the Aisin hubs on the later model 80"s with the longer axel but you guys can?

Why does Marks say you can not use the Aisin hubs on the later model 80"s with the longer axel but you guys can?

We say you can IF you do the following:

NOTE: 4/1994 - 1/1998 80 Series vehicles will require replacement birfields featuring a double groove for the snap ring OR machining a second groove in the stock birfield for a lower snap ring. We have birfs in stock to accommodate this. Please call for specifics.

We say you can IF you do the following:

NOTE: 4/1994 - 1/1998 80 Series vehicles will require replacement birfields featuring a double groove for the snap ring OR machining a second groove in the stock birfield for a lower snap ring. We have birfs in stock to accommodate this. Please call for specifics.
Yes, have read that and Marks sends a spacer in stead of replacing or cutting groove. So realy doing the same thing regardless of hub choice.

Yes, have read that and Marks sends a spacer in stead of replacing or cutting groove. So realy doing the same thing regardless of hub choice.

Not exactly. The spacer method won't work with AISIN. You simply must do one of the options we note.

I haven't had any issue with avm.

Came with the rig, the screws do not need to be that tight. I use a screw driver with a torque bit. It's all there just to hold the inner gear in a locked position or unlocked.

I would buy aisin over avm, but I would not swap it out.

My AVM's kept randomly popping out of engagement and then randomly slamming back in it was violent. This happened on two sets. I finally bit the bullet and went with the Aisins, have had no problems since.

Yeah I did some more reading and it seems like lots of people have made it work.
I'm running aisin on a 97' although I didn't install it. The work was done by ACC so it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom