swapping an H41 for an H42?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by lovetoski, Jul 24, 2005.

1. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Hi,

I'm thinking of swapping an H41 in for an H42 (can't afford the H55). My 60 is an 87, so it has the spacer. I'm not real clear on what the H41's came out of, so I don't know if the spacer will bolt right on or not. If the spacer bolts right on, then I guess it's a straight swap?

Thanks for any advice.

2. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

it'll bolt on but then you can't put on a tcase.. If you get a 19 spline h41 with or without the spacer your fine but if you get a short H41 then you'll need different driveshafts.

Another option if you get a short H41 or a 16 spline h41 you should be able to swap tailshafts then use your spacer..

hope that helps.. EC

3. Mike S

Mike S

Doug

I think it will be difficult to find an H41 in the US. I have no idea of the prices, but it may not be much less than an H55F. The H55 will go in pretty easy with no drive train mods, which you might havce to do with H41?

4. ClemsonCruiser

ClemsonCruiser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    you can pick up and H41 from Man-a-fre for 650 , so it is a fair amount cheaper than the H55

5. StanCruiserMan

StanCruiserMan

I don’t think you will find a long H41. The markets that had it just upgraded to the H55 in 1983 instead of getting a longer 4 spd like the USA. I bet you will have to change the shaft or go short...

6. DocB

DocB

I have one in an 82 I got from Specter, behind a V8. Love it for the money; I'm on 32s with the orig 3.73s and it's about right for moderate wheeling. Great on the street too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.