swapping 82 transfer into an 87? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I did a search, but ran out of patience...

Can I put a 1982 fj60 transfer case into a 1987 fj60? I found a great price on a 1982 trans, and the one in my 1987 is on it's last legs.

I see from the tech trivia section that the 82 has 1.99 low ratio, while the 87 has 2.27 low ratio. Is is a straight swap otherwise?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

bump...

Does anybody know the answer please? I've looked on cruiserparts.net and found that they list three transfers for 60's...but no specs as to whether they are swappable. I know about the difference in length of the transmission and how the crossmember is therefore in a different spot.

But I'd really like to know if an 82 transfer bolts into an 87 fj60?

Thanks in advance!

The issue will be whether or not the front half of the transfer case has the machining to accept the bearing on the output shaft of the transmission. I believe that was added in 1983. For sure the 84 and up would be OK. If you can inspect the transfer and snap a picture we could probably tell you. If you look at the picture below, it shows the machined area for the bearing. If the case you are looking at does not have this, keep looking, or rebuild what you have.

With that said, the 87 case has some real advantages. It has lower gears, and is arguably stronger with a 38mm idler shaft, as opposed to 34 mm. What do you mean yours is on it's last legs? If the gears are OK, the rest is rebuildable-see some of my recent threads where I rebuilt an 87 case behind my H55f tranny. The rebuild job is not that bad-if I can do it, you can too.
Carnage5.jpg

Cruiserdrew said:
What do you mean yours is on it's last legs? If the gears are OK, the rest is rebuildable-see some of my recent threads where I rebuilt an 87 case behind my H55f tranny. The rebuild job is not that bad-if I can do it, you can too.

Mine pops out of gear in 4H and 4L, and grinds badly in 4L under high torque. All engine and tranny mounts are good. Replaced gear oil w/Redline (helped a little.) At 285,000 miles, it seems like a rebuild would be the appropriate solution to the problem.

I'm not worried about doing the rebuild per se. My concern is the time. It's a DD, so I was thinking to swap in a used trans, then rebuild the 87 trans as time allowed, then swap the 87 back in. Total time would be greater, but each step would be realatively short. Maybe my logic is flawed though...

So, maybe my question should be how long does it take to do a transfer rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom