swapping 1999 rear axle into a 2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 model cruiser, I recently traded for a 1999 model with a locking rear diff, would it be possible to swap the locking rear diff into the 2000 model?

I thought all 100 series before 2003 had 4.30gears, is this not correct?

Same diff ratio from '98 to '02 LC: 4.30 I can't think of any reason you couldn't make the swap (housing and all correct?) with the exception of not knowing what would be required for the electronics portion to get the locker to function. You need to verify if the ABS sensor and the ABS ring are identical on the '99 and '00.

I've never paid attention, so where is the bung for the elocker? Is it on housing or 3rd member? f 3rd, you could swap 3rd member. Seems easier than swapping axle.

The e-locker is attached to the 3rd member. IIRC the e-locker housing is relieved on the face side of the e-locker. A die grinder might be all that is needed to provide the necessary clearance for the e-locker assembly as it relates to the housing and swap out the shorter non-e-locker studs...

Thanks, I'm hoping to add a rear e-locker at some point.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to swap one axle? Is it length or spline count? Just seems a bit odd...

Out of curiosity, why do you need to swap one axle? Is it length or spline count? Just seems a bit odd...

I believe the splined length on the PS/e-locker side of the axle is longer to accommodate the locker engage...

thanks guys!

Wouldn't adding an ARB rear locker cost less? It's a much better diff as well.

Since you must swap an axle shaft, the ARB is probably a better option.

Now that I think about it, I may not be a huge fan of the airlocker. Within my circles, I've seen a lot more locker down time due to blown o-rings weeping oil into airlines than busted carriers or frozen e-solenoids. :whoops:

I was hoping for a quick pumpkin swap. I don't want to try to setup the gears on this one.

Now that I think about it, I may not be a huge fan of the airlocker. Within my circles, I've seen a lot more locker down time due to blown o-rings weeping oil into airlines than busted carriers or frozen e-solenoids. :whoops:

I was hoping for a quick pumpkin swap. I don't want to try to setup the gears on this one.

I found a complete used axle cheaping then an airlocker when I was looking. A good choice IMO if you are keeping stock gearing.

7-yrears with 0 down time on ARB. Need a good installer I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom