Swap Time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after better part of five months trying to save my 2LTE I've decided to do a 1uzfe swap, there's a couple of really good write-ups were people have been successful and I've tried to create my own little swap guide based on these posts, my only question is can I utilize the transfercase out of a 99 Land Cruiser. I know that it is all wheel drive but I have come across a 99 Land Cruiser for $500 everything included, I'm going to check the truck out on Monday to see if it runs. If not that should I just reuse my factory transfer case. From what I've been reading a lot of the A code transmissions are interchangeable.

Last edited:
I would use the split transfer you have now. It's a very good transfer case. Pretty sure the AWD case won't work anyway.
You will need to swap the tail piece of the 1UZ trans with the tailpiece from your original trans.
I am actually kicking around this swap myself currently. Haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

I would use the split transfer you have now. It's a very good transfer case. Pretty sure the AWD case won't work anyway.
You will need to swap the tail piece of the 1UZ trans with the tailpiece from your original trans.
I am actually kicking around this swap myself currently. Haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.
In the write-up on this site Postoy actually swaps his output shaft with the output shaft of the A341f but that was out of a two-wheel drive LS400 I think. I do know that a guy by the name of PradoCruiser was referenced a few times. This is about the best write-up I've seen so far with any swap which actually gave me the drive to do mine. 1UZ Swap into LJ78 Prado

You can just run the 100 series t-case with a part-time kit.

Also, the 100 series only came with a 2UZ AFAIK.

Not exactly what I would do overall, obviously, but hey it's your rig :)

100 series came with 1HDFTE and 1HZ in other markets....

You can just run the 100 series t-case with a part-time kit.

Also, the 100 series only came with a 2UZ AFAIK.

Not exactly what I would do overall, obviously, but hey it's your rig :)
Also, here's an album that shows a bunch of pictures of a 1UZ in a LJ78: 1UZ LJ78 Pictures
I love the pictures, I really just wish they had some kind of description, but the all-important one that I can see is that the engine appears to be shifted about an inch to an inch and a half forward. And it's looking like he's piggybacking off the factory 2L ECU. My plan is to run a digital dash so I can also bypassed my kph and convert to mph

One thing to keep in mind guys that I have actually bought a complete truck, I'm going to park them side-by-side and perform the swap that way so I'm going to have full access to everything.

I snagged them from a company in New Zealand's facebook website. They do these swaps for a business, so are unlikely to share their secrets.

When I did research on the 1UZ and other swaps, of all the countries in the world, I found the Russians have done the most swaps on these trucks. Many of them have documented the ins/outs of their swaps, and you can use google chrome browser to translate. Go to this link and scroll down. You can click on each 'build'. Within each build many have specific links to the various things they've done. It'll take a bit of looking to find the 1UZ swaps. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 70-series. Opinions of the real owners on DRIVE2

Something to keep in mind with the 1UZ, is there were three distinct versions. I forget exactly, but I think 1990-1994, 1995-1997, and 1998+. The first version's HP is over rated, the second version's HP is bang on (has higher compression and a few other improvements), and the final version makes the most HP, but is also by far the hardest to install (VVTI version).

If it were me, I'd be looking for the second rev. It makes significantly more power than the first (dyno's about 40hp more!), but is about the same in complexity to install.

The VVTI version with the 5-speed auto would be awesome, but lots of challenges there to overcome. That said, I found at least a half dozen examples of it having been done before.

Advantages of the 1UZ over the 2UZ are lower weight and better fuel economy. 1UZ has less low down torque than a 2UZ, but still a huge upgrade from a 2LTE.

This is non vvti engine. Hopefully this goes smooth I'll keep you guys posted with a build thread.

15639164844021033220166173721317.jpg

This is non vvti engine. Hopefully this goes smooth I'll keep you guys posted with a build thread.

View attachment 2037672

A 2UZFE Prado 70 series swap! Cool; I'll be following closely. From your first post I thought you were thinking of a 1UZFE, which is why I spouted off all the info about different generations etc.... 2UZFE is a different beast.

I just remembered there was a guy in Ireland who transplanted a 1HDFTE with auto transmission and t-case complete from a HDJ100 into his LJ78. I believe he mentioned that the transmission and t-case worked out really well.... He actually posted about his swap on IH8MUD. I'll see if I can find it. If it's the same transmission and t-case as your UZJ100 has, then it's possible for you to use them I'd think.

Edit: Found the thread: LJ78 Smoking

A 2UZFE Prado 70 series swap! Cool; I'll be following closely. From your first post I thought you were thinking of a 1UZFE, which is why I spouted off all the info about different generations etc.... 2UZFE is a different beast.

I just remembered there was a guy in Ireland who transplanted a 1HDFTE with auto transmission and t-case complete from a HDJ100 into his LJ78. I believe he mentioned that the transmission and t-case worked out really well.... He actually posted about his swap on IH8MUD. I'll see if I can find it. If it's the same transmission and t-case as your UZJ100 has, then it's possible for you to use them I'd think.

Edit: Found the thread: LJ78 Smoking
I originally was going to go with the 1u but the engine and transmission alone we're just $700 minus all the extra bits that I needed. My plan is to go ahead and utilize the OBD2 port as well out of this truck to make diagnostics a lot easier. I will try to snap shots as much as I can. I've taken on a third job to be able to pay for a lot of this extra stuff so my friends at the shop will be doing a lot of the extra work, I'm not too savvy it engine swaps but I have no problem doing suspension and little things. I'm also talked to a few people that have done the swaps on here and I'm going to try to create a PDF format guide on how to swap at your own risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom