Swap sides on birfs. or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiser has 122,000 miles. No previous front axle service (it appears). No clicking of birfs, but just now starting to see more grease than normal getting past the seal/wiper on one side.

Got parts coming from C-Dan, question is: Unless I see definite wear on the internal parts, is there any real advantage to swapping sides, or can I just clean them up and repack.

Thank you in advance.

flintknapper said:
Cruiser has 122,000 miles. No previous front axle service (it appears). No clicking of birfs, but just now starting to see more grease than normal getting past the seal/wiper on one side.

Got parts coming from C-Dan, question is: Unless I see definite wear on the internal parts, is there any real advantage to swapping sides, or can I just clean them up and repack.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Flint:

From all of the reading I've done and the research, it seems that many feel that the best course of action is the one you mentioned. Now, I did get a set of c-clips that remained un-used after I did the job a year ago. I didn't realize it till doing more reading that these were for the insides of the birfs. after you have either switched them up or replaced/cleaned the insides by removing things...

I didn't have any clicking when I did mine and the balls inside looked real good.

I guess I didn't reall answer your question more than reinforce what you said... :rolleyes: :doh:

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

beno said:
Hey Flint:

From all of the reading I've done and the research, it seems that many feel that the best course of action is the one you mentioned. Now, I did get a set of c-clips that remained un-used after I did the job a year ago. I didn't realize it till doing more reading that these were for the insides of the birfs. after you have either switched them up or replaced/cleaned the insides by removing things...

I didn't have any clicking when I did mine and the balls inside looked real good.

I guess I didn't reall answer your question more than reinforce what you said... :rolleyes: :doh:

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Thanks Onur, I guess I'll make up my mind when I actually get them apart and see what everything looks like. I don't mind disassembling them and swapping....its just I didn't know if others have seen any real need for it.

I am a little surprised that they have gone twice the distance the FSM recommends without any maintenance. I've had the Cruiser a year now and put 14,000 miles on it, and it just runs perfectly.

I changed all the fluids, and did the PHH when I first got it, but it really didn't need anything. We'll be keeping this vehicle for a long time!

flintknapper said:
Thanks Onur, I guess I'll make up my mind when I actually get them apart and see what everything looks like. I don't mind disassembling them and swapping....its just I didn't know if others have seen any real need for it.

I am a little surprised that they have gone twice the distance the FSM recommends without any maintenance. I've had the Cruiser a year now and put 14,000 miles on it, and it just runs perfectly.

I changed all the fluids, and did the PHH when I first got it, but it really didn't need anything. We'll be keeping this vehicle for a long time!

Flint--

After I put everything back together and realized I had these c-clips left over, I almost tore everything back apart to replace the old ones in the birf. I'm glad I didn't as I read more about the situations in which one would switch sides.

It seems--and I'm sure the experts will chime in on this one--that switching sides is best utilized when there is definite wear on either the balls in the birf or on the insides where the balls rub up against. Neither was the case when I did the job and I assume this will again be the case when I tear in again at the end of the summer to repack bearings.

So when are you doing this job? Will you have help or just tearing in and seeing what's up? If I was in Texas I'd bring by some :beer: and help you out with my limited front axle knowledge... ;)

Later man.
-onur

Flint,

Check your wear as you previously stated. If not necessary then don't swap sides and be prepared to check again around 200K. At that point you will probably want to swap sides and it is almost like having new birfs up front. Oh and at your mileage I doubt that a swap will be necessary.

I seems impossible to me that you could not have any wear on the Bell housing or the "starfish" part of the Birfs. If in fact there is none, there wouln't be much argument for swapping the sides.

I wonder if anyone has done the job with 60K plus and literally not seen any wear. Mine was done at just over 100k and while the wear was not horrible, there was enough noticab;e different betweent the wear on the "drive force" side vs the wear on the "braking side" of the bell and starfish that it seemed logical to swap sides to even it out in the future. Further, since you have them apart anyway, there's the argument that it can't do any harm and doesn't add ot your workload.

TLCgrappler said:
I seems impossible to me that you could not have any wear on the Bell housing or the "starfish" part of the Birfs. .

Well, like I said....we'll see when I get in there. I'm certainly expecting to see some wear, but I don't have any clicking (maybe lucky) and I'm pretty sure the "soccer mom" PO didn't know it would EVER need servicing.

I changed the PHH when I got the vechicle (108,000) at the advice of those here, and it was in near perfect shape. Also, no radiator sludge (thank goodness)...it did have one aftermarket cogged belt which chirps a little, the antenna mast doesn't go up and down, but other wise she's a "Puff".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom