Swap from v6 3vze to 2LT turbo diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I'm new to the site hoping to get some answer. I'm doing a swap from a 1990 hilux 3vze with w56 transmission to a 2LT turbo diesel. My question is will the clutch work when I do the swap? Also I know the motor mounts on my truck will not work ( cause it's v6 ) if I get mounts fabbed up to 22re specs will they bolt up when I re locate the mounts on my frame?

The clutch should work fine.I dont think there is a difference between the gasser and the diesel.Make the motor mounts for the diesel,why would you make the mounts to 22r specs if you are swapping a diesel?Do you have the bellhousing for the 2LT?The gasser bellhousing and diesel bellhousing are different,starter is on the opposite side

The clutch should work fine.I dont think there is a difference between the gasser and the diesel.Make the motor mounts for the diesel,why would you make the mounts to 22r specs if you are swapping a diesel?Do you have the bellhousing for the 2LT?The gasser bellhousing and diesel bellhousing are different,starter is on the opposite side
Thanks for the reply! I was a bit confused at first with the mounts, the 2LT I'm buying is in fact coming with the bell housing that should bolt to my w56 tranny. I thought I would get them made up before hand because I though that would be better but if they aren't hard to fab up then I will just my welder to do build them for me. I need the mounts that connect to the frame. The mount that bolts to that then my motor is coming with the 2LT I'm buying! Thanks for your help bro!

I believe the flywheel is also different.

From what I'm told it will match up perfect, if it doesent what will I have to do? Do you have a guess on how many hours it will take to drop the motor in?

Hours depends on so many factors I'd have no idea what to guess. For me at my shop with my hoist my last engine swap on a V8 suburban was 9 hours from drive in to running on new engine. My advice is take your time and make sure it all goes together properly.

As far as the flywheel goes, when replacing the clutch in my 2L engine I was in contact with the guys at Marlin and I was told the flywheel is different, they did not have one that would fit my engine. I reused my flywheel with OE and Marlin clutch parts. Research more first so you'll have less downtime when you start.

You might want to double check which transmission you have.
The 3VZ-E should have had an R150 transmission, rather than a W56 transmission.
These use a different clutch set, different bell housing, different flywheel. You might be able to find someone who can make you a custom bellhousing adapter and remachine your flywheel, but then you have a bunch of custom parts which doesn't sit well with me.

The 22RE is a different engine than the 2LT so the motor mounts are different.
If you can find the part number for the 2LT motor mounts, order them from the dealer (if available). The holes should already be in the frame, just cut off the 3VZ-E mounts, bolt on the 2LT mounts.

Hours depends on so many factors I'd have no idea what to guess. For me at my shop with my hoist my last engine swap on a V8 suburban was 9 hours from drive in to running on new engine. My advice is take your time and make sure it all goes together properly.

As far as the flywheel goes, when replacing the clutch in my 2L engine I was in contact with the guys at Marlin and I was told the flywheel is different, they did not have one that would fit my engine. I reused my flywheel with OE and Marlin clutch parts. Research more first so you'll have less downtime when you start.
Where is your shop?

Not my personal shop, poorly worded I see now. I work at a non-Toyota dealer in Langley

There's some misinformation here....

Frame side motor mounts R series engine to L series diesel are the same.

The L series flywheel accepts the same clutch as the 22RE. I have one in mine between the 2LT-E and R150f. 21 spline, IIRC from 2006 when I was last in there.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom