swap dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well im in a dilemma. My Original plan wa to do a 2fe swap in my fj60. Have all the parts ( had a fj62) My plan was to rebuild th bottom end ( have a spare 2f) And do everything i could do (balance rotating assembly, port and polish, headers, rv cam, SBC valves) Then get a H55F and the 4to1 gears in t-case. But i have access to a cummins 6bt and nv4500.

Cummins
pros
cheaper
more power and tourq
Gas mileage
Cons
raises the possibility of breaking stuff
Not toyota power ( i know its silly but ya)

Toyota 2FE
Pros
toyota fuel injection in a fj60
"bolts in"
Cons
twice as expensive
still not much power
Dont have any of the parts

So whats the community's opinion??

I don't think the power is much different although nothin like pouring on the coal. I've heard that the differential gearing makes a difference with the oil burner. Plenty of low end, not so much on the highway. I believe the butter zone is 1,800 to 2,200 on the cummins.

Most likely have to SOA to fit the 6BT but it would easily have double the torque without tuning modification.

ya cummins would be sweet and your power potential is crazy, I'm a fan of toyota power though and wouldn't do it for my own 60 but wouldn't blame you either. Your easily going to over power your axles if your start modifying the 6bt.

I'm going to get flamed for this.

2FE and NV4500.

All you need is a three-speed bellhousing and to swap the input shaft on the NV4500 (to the light duty gas version). Then a $280 AA plate adapter.

Que, "H55f is the best transmission ever and how could you not use Toyota's amazing engineering and weak overdrive etc. etc. etc..."

I'm going to get flamed for this.

2FE and NV4500.

All you need is a three-speed bellhousing and to swap the input shaft on the NV4500 (to the light duty gas version). Then a $280 AA plate adapter.
Is that the adapter from the nv4500 to the split case? On their site they want $600

No, the adapter to a Small-block Chevy. The bellhousing side is the same as an FJ40 three-speed bellhousing. See my build thread.

So you need about $900 total in adapters unless you run a domestic transfer case like a Dana 300.

Or you could run a BlackBox doubler and that would act as an adapter and be bad-ass.

no 2fe...or 3fe combination..... 6bt is a monster engine for a FJ60.... (its a 2500 / 3500 truck engine or larger in some cases)...

Why not a GM 5.3 with matching GM auto transmission with advance adatper and FJ60 transfer case. (proven swap, proven parts combination, proven solution..etc0

If there were only two choices...of what you mentioned....6bt would be the choice...of course along with that I would want fully functional ps. and a/c to go with it.

Have you seen / driven a Cummins cruiser? I couldn't tolerate the rattle / noise (especially the 4BT). They are loud! I would go Isuzu before a Cummings. JMHO.

Have you seen / driven a Cummins cruiser? I couldn't tolerate the rattle / noise (especially the 4BT). They are loud! I would go Isuzu before a Cummings. JMHO.

Ive seen a 4bt fj60 and it didnt seem ridiculously loud. I was able to carry a conversation with the driver from out side. Idealy I would like to drive or ride in a 6bt powered fj60.

no 2fe...or 3fe combination..... 6bt is a monster engine for a FJ60.... (its a 2500 / 3500 truck engine or larger in some cases)...

Why not a GM 5.3 with matching GM auto transmission with advance adatper and FJ60 transfer case. (proven swap, proven parts combination, proven solution..etc0

If there were only two choices...of what you mentioned....6bt would be the choice...of course along with that I would want fully functional ps. and a/c to go with it.

No there not my only two options. A G.M v8 is a fantastic choice but i dont want to do that cuz everyone dose that ( ya i know its a stupid reason). Its a great choice and dose everything (300hp and 15MPG?) and the drivability is suppose to be great but it dose not excite me. HAHA What I probably should do is see if I could drive a 5.3 powered fj60 series and a 6bt powered fj60 series. Either way it has to be a manual Transmission :D

6bt and nv4500 is what I want to do. And soa is not a must but like you said you are already there. I would do that swap in a heart beat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom