Swap Delimma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a gear head friend of mine says I'm crazy for putting a B3.3/NV4500 in my '40. He's convinced the diesel belongs in my '62 with an automatic, and an LS should go in the '40 with the 5 speed. He thinks I'll hate the NV4500 behind the diesel, and that an LS engine with its broader operating RPM range would suit that transmission better and make it a much more "fun" vehicle.

Thought I'd solocit comments from the peanut gallery...

After quickly dismissing the idea of "taking" the wife's nice 5 speed 3rd gen 4Runner when it's due for an upgrade here soon, building it and selling my '62...I go back to thinking about the situation.

The 76 '40 has been a project for a few years and I haven't had the benefit of having it "home" with me for a while, but should within the next few months. It's got a new B3.3 with the Phoenix GM adapter, and a rebuilt nv4500 mated to the original case. The B3.3/NV4500 mounts are in, but it still needs a clutch, driveline, fuel system, lots of bodywork, the things a cruiser that's sat for 2 decades needs, etc.

The '62 is my DD. It works well for me in that role. The transmission has however got the "clunk" when shifting between D and R. The engine I'm not worried about..

I could weld up the input gear/spacer/pto gear cluster and quit worrying about the trans while I put the '40 back together... Or put the 40 on hold and pull the B3.3 and attach a 700R4 and drop that in the '62, then find an LQ4 for the '40.

Longer term Plans for each vehicle:
The 40 will get bodywork and paint, I honestly don't even want to lift it - hunting, camping, mild wheeling and just driving it.

The 62 is rough around the edges to the point where I wouldn't mind beating on it wheeling some. It's got bondo in the wheel arches, small holes in the rear quarters, and numerous dents. Frame is 100%, interior is fine for what it is, etc. It's got a 1" body lift now, needs some OME help and 33's... I will have no problem DD'ing it as long as it's moving. It has enough power to get me around and I don't feel the need to spend any money making it faster-but sooner or later the tranny is gonna go. I kinda want to keep it an auto if anything gets swapped in..

I could always pull the whole drivetrain from the 40 and drop it in the 62 if the trans does go out - but I'd be putting a 4 speed case in it...

Thoughts, comments, musings?

Oh, and fuel mileage isn't a concern with either cruiser, and yes there is other junk around to drive immediately if my trans decides to let go soon...

My 2 cents (or peanuts thrown from the gallery)
I would stick to your plan for the 40 with a thought to a 5 speed conversion in the future on the 62. By the way, a reverse/drive clunk could very well be just bad u joints. Fwiw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom