Swamper ssr 33" tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went down to Big Shell this weekend and one of my poor X-terrains took a punchure just past the tread into the sidewall area, so needless to say it's a spare now. I'm too picky to put a new tire on with ones that have 10k miles, so I'm looking for a new set.

Anyone run the super swamper ssr radial in the 33" kind? I'm looking at a few of their sizes in a 33", either the 12.50, 14.50 widths or the 305/70 meteric. Also, anyone in TX know of a shop that has all 3 I can look at? Houston is out of the question but anywhere between Dallas and San Antonio is a go.

Also after 120 miles of bogging through soft sand these damn things need a sub tank! I got to the gas station with 1/2 a gallon of gas left and that's with running back up the beach in the surf :mad: I would say I got less than 5 miles to the gallon in the soft sand.

I run 305/70's and like em alot. They arent as noisy as youd think.....in fact I really dont notice them even with the radio off. Its a soothing drone at worst. They are wearing pretty well on mine too. My truck sits for a few days at a time and even when its cold I dont get "flat spots" too bad. When I do they are gone within 10 or so blocks at worst.

Traction is sweet. :D

You sure do like tires with weak sidewalls, don't you, Bear? ;)

The SSR radial swampers have a bad rep for weak sidewalls, especially when compared to other swampers.

CruisinGA said:
You sure do like tires with weak sidewalls, don't you, Bear? ;)

Well I do have other choices I know but I want to keep it to a steel belted radial. The x-terrains have been great tires, I really don't think any tire could have withstood this kinda puncture. I just want somthing meaner looking but not 35's and a radial that can take cross country highway driving.

The only thing I have heard from one person about these tires, is that they can chunch pretty bad.

Any tire with large lugs is going to be more prone to chuncking, I think. You can put me on the list of guys who have lost a swamper radial sidewall :frown:

If you want something a little more aggressive that an AT, but still have a tough carcass, why not look at the BFG MT? They may not be as cool looking as a swamper (what is?) but they are a good compromise all the way around.

Bear80,
I've seen a couple of folks have side wall trouble with the SSR radials. In my opinion, the traction gain alone would not justify the poor road manners and short life span of the tires on the road without having a more durable sidewall.
In a dryer climate such as central Texas (I used to live there) I'd probably stick with an MTR especially if my wheeling was on trails where 33's would sufice. The TrXus is also a good tire worth looking at. They seem to have a thicker heavier sidewall than the other Swamer radials and they have very good traction in various conditions. On the down side, the TrXus can be more difficult to to balance than an MT or MTR.
:beer:

*cough*Firestone Destinaton M/T (285/75-16)*cough*

You'll never look back.

My sidewalls are doing fine so far, and the tires are holding up well. Ive got about 5,000 miles on em now, and asside from a few chunks they dont look any worse for wear. I dont find them to have poor road manors.

I did like the BFG muds I had on my bronco. Never got a set of MTR's although I worked for goodyear for awhile and have seen them throw some decent chunks too.

As far as a shop that will stock all of them, 4 wheel parts MIGHT have all those sizes in stock. I would go to 4 wheel parts nearest you, check out the tires, then leave. Do not go near the cash register. What you can do though is stump the dumb asses that work there with some difficult questions. Say something like, "I like super swampers because of their patented super tough rubber technology, don't you?" And then when the 25 year old loser who has never wheeled says yes, tell him you completely made that up and he is a jack ass. And because of his ignorance you will buy elsewhere. Do this AFTER you have looked at the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom