Builds SW20s 1979 revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks like original paint on that rig - I love it all patina'd out like that!

;)
It is the original paint. Rustic Green! The firewall of the FJ40 is the same color, but in much better shape and color. It did not have the correct front bib/grill, so I bought the correct one that is why the color did not match. But all in all, I have a top, doors, tire carrier, etc....all in Rustic Green.

Scott

Just dug these factory 1979 belts out. Even the ID tags are still intact (bought out of the Midwest about twenty years ago. Interested?
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG

I finally am up and running. Had some electrical issues, no headlights, no power to the carb soleniod, turn signals didn't work, turns out that many wires were spliced from the previous owner and the splices became loose over time, all electrical has been addressed. The last issue was that my fuel gauge was not working, when the fuel sender was taken out for inspection, it was rusted. The fuel was bad, I had the entire fuel tank taken off, cleaned and restored. Drove it 40 miles to work today. Had no problems hitting 65mph on the freeway (I work at 3AM so no traffic), but with the top off it was a little scary, so I just cruised to about 50mph. Of all days, I drove without the top, and California weather was 39 degrees this morning. Still fun though.

3rds.jpg

Tank.jpg

Drive.jpg

Last edited:
You got tags?

Shush.

N:clap::clap::clap:

Just a heads up. Rancho 9000 shocks don't adjust if upside down like that. Looks like u are missing the adjustment knobs. U can buy those off of Amazon I think.

Ha! This is funny, considering the shocks were hanging free when he bought the truck. PO bought rear ubolt plates with no shock pins.

@drnekFJ40 , see post #35 for the powder painted valve cover.

Allright ....It might be the way to go on that valve cover..Just need to find powdercoater around here...Thanks....Great job on that 40 :)

Just a heads up. Rancho 9000 shocks don't adjust if upside down like that. Looks like u are missing the adjustment knobs. U can buy those off of Amazon I think.
My 40 has a 4 inch lift, with 33's. When purchased, it was rotting in the sun and elements for years. With a 4 inch lift and hard top on, the 40 would not clear my garage door. Instead of just adding shocks, I decided to replace it with a complete OME 2.5 inch lift so it would clear my garage.

OME.JPG

My 40 has a 4 inch lift, with 33's. When purchased, it was rotting in the sun and elements for years. With a 4 inch lift and hard top on, the 40 would not clear my garage door. Instead of just adding shocks, I decided to replace it with a complete OME 2.5 inch lift so it would clear my garage.

View attachment 1504700
Serious bling right their!:beer:

Update time. Scott’s truck is back in the shop (well, in the driveway actually) for some more work. First up was/is a rebuild on the tcase. Only real symptoms were a bypass hose installed for a draining case and a weep at the idler shaft from a dried out o-ring. Disassembly showed a slightly galled main shaft, along with a grooved input gear. All is well now.
0C36916E-AC97-487E-8BCB-5C1E31FE94A8.jpeg

The 4 speed transmission suffered from a ‘use it or lose it’ lack of lubrication. Several teeth in 1st gear set above the oil level for an extended period of time and are now heavily pitted from rust.
5150EA2D-7976-4175-80C9-5CBA869AC6A5.jpeg

Unfortunately, I had hoped to salvage the 1-2 synchro, but one of the reverse teeth is also deeply pitted.
6E7196F2-8A9C-446E-B4CC-4EA6E256853F.jpeg

Transmission is done, and now reattached. Just need to get a couple more parts beadblasted.
F7280B90-B48F-4C43-BEC0-74DD8F1BAC29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom