Suspention Problems After New Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 STOCK Land Cruiser with 200K. I just put on new shocks (OEM from Dan) and have suspention issues. The truck "thumps" on potholes, "squeeks" and "feels like it is bottoming out" and it also "rocks side to side". I can see nothing amis and the springs all look equal and level. IF anyone thinks I need new springs please give me the distances to measure to check as I can not find in shop manual.

If the springs are original and have 200k on them then you need new springs no doubt about it

The spec is in the alignment section. If it measures at or above spec, the springs are good. This is for a '96 LX450.
ride1996-Land-Cruiser0861.jpg

I've seen a simila diagram and spec for the LC but I think it is likely different than the 450 show here. Anyone have the LC spring specs? ALSO when I spoke to Dan when I bought the shocks he did not think the springs were neccesarily gone at 200K. Said put on new shock and do the measurement or see how it rides. I agree that springs are a likely culperit as it definately has not got much better with the new shocks.

Not to be condescending, but have you tightened the shocks down? If so, how much? A rule of thumb I was given years ago was to tighten the nuts until the bushings just start to bulge out. (Obviously this does not apply to the rear shocks' lower mount.)

Also, can you explain how you installed the bushings and washers?

With new OEM shocks, you should definitely have a positive difference in ride quality. If you did not change anything else, I'd suspect the installation.

I used torqe wrench to factory manual specs which is a lot more than just bushing bulge. Just to illiminate other causes other than installation or springs, is there anything else like a bvent anti-sway bar etc that could couse these symptoms? The car bumps and squeeks in a way I can't think shock installation is the problem but I will check it out.

Panhard rod bushings are shoot or the panhard bolts might be loose front or rear
Check all the sway bar bushings and bolts as well

Did you have these issues before installing the new shocks?

Little Joe's question is a very good one, but a problem to answer. Between taking off the old shocks and putting on the new the truck was not driven for about 5 months and I just can't remeber. My wife and I have discussed this and we can not definiately say one way or another.

One late thought, the shocks I got from Dan we not FL, FR, RL, RR but two FL and two RL. Is this OK? Still looking for measurements to test springs as they are very expensive to buy and ship.

Mike

Last edited:
.02 I just had some trail breakage of the rear sway bar bracket..same deal popping and squeaking. Hard to spot but the bushings were shot and I was getting rub from the pin against the bracket.
Hi jack::: anyone know an alternative set up to the 96 drop bracket on the underside of the frame and the double bushing pin style mount . I dont like it as it is a weak link. Im not modified enough to run without the bar yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom