Suspension.. Yeah, I want it all!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I am considering making some suspension upgrades to my truck to increase it's offroadability.

The forefront of the plan is to run a SOA with some stock leaf springs (or some custom Alcans).

Currently, I am running osme OME heavy springs front and rear. The truck rides like a buckboard when it's empty, but when I hav ethe truck loaded with my camping gear, etc, it rides REALLY nicely.

I want to have good flex when offroad, but I don't want all that weight back there. But I also want good handling on the freeway for driving from Salt Lake to Moab, etc.

What I was thinking of doing was installing some Airlift helped springs (basically small airbags) that I can pump up for on the road driving, then deflate for offroading.

Has anybody ever considered this?
Or would I be better off simply setting the suspension up for the weight and not worry about the breakage?

thanks!

air bags

I have considered using soft springs backed up by air bags myself!
From the little research I have done the air bags on the ends of axel will limit axel articulation and or get torn.
I have seen pics of a set-up that uses a single air bag in the center
of the axel where the up/down travel is minimal but can be inflated to support extra weight of loads!
Good Luck

I am also thinking of doing this sort of suspension. what was said above is pretty much the best option. you might want to do some modification to stock leaf springs if you are sticking with those, but that's just my .02
good luck :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom