Suspension / Shock help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a lurker on this board since 2008.

I have a 2000 LC and went to replace the rear shocks today. I pulled the existing Monroe shocks and the upper part had both an upper and lower washer and rubber spacer (well worn by the way).

The new KYB shocks came with new rubber spacers and a new 19mm nut, however no washer. I tried to use the old washers but the diameter of the top part of the new shock is larger so the washers do not fit.

If I install without the upper and lower washers the nut bottoms out on the thread and I have play. I figure the washers are about 1/8" each so I'm missing out on about a 1/4" of "washers" thus leaving a gap which, as expected, creates a clinking sound.

What is the typical solution here? The KYBs came with the spacers but no washers. Tempted to just head over to ACE hardware and buy some 1/8" washers and call it a day.

Any experience out there? Many thanks in advance!

Scott C.

I'm pretty sure you'll need the washers in there. Your plan to source some sounds like a good one. Is there any way you can file out the ID on the ones you have to make them fit the new shock threads?

Thanks for the reply and yes - great idea. I have access to a machine shop at work so I'll drop them on the drill press. I was wondering if I had just missed something.

Scott C.

I just replace mine with stock Toyota shocks and the kit came with new rubber and a new nut. We reused the washers. It's important to use the washers because they have a bevel on them which keep shocks centered in the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom