Suspension seat frames with aftermarket frames? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title should read with aftermarket seats! doh!

Hi folks,

Has anyone attempted to fit aftermarket seats onto 70 series suspension frames? My seats ('87 BJ71) are no good for long trips, and leave me with a sore back. Im hoping to fit some recaro fishnets from a KZN130 surf or possibly some WRX bucket seats, as they are cheap and fairly common.

Kind of hoping someones found a bolt on solution but not holding my breath! Frame mods mean a certification by engineers which drives my insurance price up and costs a fair bit!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've looked into this a fair bit, my seats aren't great either. The suspension seat rails are super narrow so nothing else is a bolt on. Jackaroo (Trooper) was the closest I found. I was looking for some out of a SWB Jackaroo or Pajero as they might have a better fold forward mechanism and IMO, they upper spec models have very good seats.

Cheers guys, that Camry lead will keep me going for a bit!

@Billyfj7312ht are your suspension frames still in bits at the moment? Could you please do me a solid and measure the mounting holes if possible? Still trying to concoct a plan for mine but can't really take em out and check!

Cheers

Hello,

The seats mount with 14 mm (approximately 9/16 in.) bolts. The suspension mechanism anchors to the body with the same bolts.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hey @JuanJ
How you doin? just cleaned and prepped my aircon duct in preparation of applying foil like you recommended in one of your last posts.:beer:

The seats mount with 14 mm (approximately 9/16 in.) bolts. The suspension mechanism anchors to the body with the same bolts.

I think you mean spanner size is 14mm. The bolts from the look of them are M10 x 1.25 and if original will have JIS 14MM heads.
Although commercially available HT8.8 bolts(from your hardware store) with this thread would have a 16MM spanner size.
I will check when I get home on the thread pitch.

Front view
seats.jpg

Rear veiw
seats1.jpg

So centre to centre of holes for width on mine is 305mm. Both seats front and back spacings are the same
seats2.jpg

Outside of existing welded nut to outside of existing welded nut front to back is 357MM.
seats3.jpg

As you can see from photos the fitted nuts are on the vertical surfaces with thru holes on the horizontal surfaces.
I have just ordered seats and will be making some mount adaptors to suit either the thru holes or the captive nuts over next month or so, I can't imagine it will be that hard.
If you want the sizes of the holes on top horizontals just let me know.

Hello Billy/Billyfj7312ht ,

I am fine, thank you for asking. Received a few parts I was waiting for and I am installing them, among other things.

In fact I was referring to JIS head size, which is 14 mm. My bad, I hurried to reply. And yes, you are correct: off the shelf M10 bolts will have 16 mm heads, just as JIS 12 mm bolts are interchangeable with 13 mm head ones.

Thanks for clarifying.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom