Suspension repair options, Lexus GX 470 - Metairie/NOLA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this is my first post in a long time. I found this place before I got married and wanted an FJ project. Now that I'm married with children, I own a 04 Lexus GX 470 and the FJ project moved to the back burner.

Apparently my rear suspension failed on Friday and the car has a violent bounce just driving down the street and feels like I'm sitting on the bump stops. My rear end has no bounce when I push on the rear bumper and my height adjustment is not responding to reset the rear airbag suspension.

I bought the GX in 2010 and have never had to replace anything but tires and brakes. Please let me know where to go to get the problem diagnosed, independent or dealer. I'm reluctant to go to a dealer and would like to have a reliable local shop.

I live by Metairie Playground and work near Power and I-10. Thanks!

dont the GXs have the airbarg suspension?
If so then probably ruptured the rear bags hence no travel.
I'd give Lakeside a call and inquire about parts and labor costs. I couldnt see swapping the bags being terriblely hard to do.

dont the GXs have the airbarg suspension?
If so then probably ruptured the rear bags hence no travel.
I'd give Lakeside a call and inquire about parts and labor costs. I couldnt see swapping the bags being terriblely hard to do.

Changing the bag is really easy. The hardest part is getting the airline loose which isn't even that hard.

When Kevin busted his at SCC he was ready to go buy one and swap it until he figured out it was a fitting and not the bag. He JB Welded it on the trail.

@SouthernSS, help us out........

Kevin pinched the bag the first time then broke the airline the second time. We replaced the bag then the next time he flexed it hard, the bag pulled out and broke the line.

I would jack up the back of the truck and check the bags for rub marks or obvious holes, then look at all of the lines at the connections. They are 1/8" black plastic lines. You can't really see the ones going into the top of the bags but you can get your hand in there to feel if it's still connected. All of the other connections, from what I remember, you can see. The compressor is on the inside of the driver side frame rail, right behind the axle. Another way would be to jack up the rear, reset the computer by removing and then replacing the positive battery cable, and then turn the truck on. The pump should attempt to air up the suspension and if you have any obvious leaks, you should be able to hear the leak and track it down. The computer has a fail safe that tells the compressor that there is something wrong so it won't keep attempting to air up the truck and burn up the pump.

I obviously learned a lot about the suspension of these trucks at SCC lmao.

It prob set a dtc and shut the pump off due to a leaking airbag. You can try to erase the code and let air up the system to confirm its the bags. From my experience its usually the bags that leak.

If you need someone to do the work for you let me know.

Whats the status on this? If you need parts, I could probably work up a sweet deal for you. Im looking to swap to coils, so I'll have a lot of things left over.

Whats the status on this? If you need parts, I could probably work up a sweet deal for you. Im looking to swap to coils, so I'll have a lot of things left over.

The pump isn't working, my mechanic reset the battery with no response on reset, then put power directly to the pump and it still won't turn over. My options are to replace the pump and probably both bags, given their age and see what happens, or swap the air springs for coils.

I'm leaning toward coils, given the significant cost difference. I'm open to advice on coils for the conversion

I feel ya. Metaltech makes a coil conversion kit.

yes their springs are fine lot cheaper than OEM most prob have a complete kit spirng & pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom