Suspension Recommendations for Bug out FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before everyone slams me about the suspension and doing a search before I ask, I have but would like a bit more clarification.

Background - I have been in the automotive industry for 25 years and know a lot about Import race cars, but need some help with my FJ62. I am used to spending a lot for good suspension and coilovers, in our industry, you get what you pay for.

Purpose - I want to build a FJ62 as a Bug out vehicle, I don't drive the car that often, but when I do, it's very short distances. I would want to set up a suspension that can handle some weight just in case of an emergency, but will generally have the car unloaded when driving around town. When the SHTF, I will most likely load it up to the top and need a reliable suspension to go on road and possibility off road, not rock crawling or crazy off-road racing.

I was looking into Fox racing shocks or even King, but wasn't able to find applications that work. I am worried that the Nitro shocks are not good enough. I have also looked at the different leaf springs and wouldn't mind paying a bit more for better quality stuff like Deaver if needed. I would like to put a 3 inch lift on the vehicle and outfit it with Volk forged wheels and A/T tires since I have a good relationship with Volk and tire companies. I assume I will need greaseable shackles,new bushihgs and is it worth paying for a spring over axle conversion?

Thank you everyone!

If the s*** hits the fan, who cares about fox or king shocks. Throw a decent lift with shocks and go.

Keep it simple-OME heavy and call it good.

With the poor fuel economy of a 62, it might not be the best choice to "bug out" in.

Keep it simple-OME heavy and call it good.

With the poor fuel economy of a 62, it might not be the best choice to "bug out" in.

I understand the fuel economy is not great, but this the vehicle that I have that can be set aside for this application., my other car is too small. I just didn't want to buy the OME stuff and then find out later it wasn't good enough and could have spent a little more now.

I think from what you've mentioned in my opinion you're on the right track fox are awesome but speno especially when you get into the bypass stuff.
If you can some mid to late 90's OME stuff grab it with both hands otherwise steer clear with both hands on the wheel.

Unless you go with a custom adjustable bypass shock, it won't make a difference for heavy loads. Unless you design the suspension for heavy loads and deal with the rock hard unladen ride.

You could just add some air bags to it and call it good tho.
Air'em up when you need the additional capacity..

If the **** hits the fan, who cares about fox or king shocks. Throw a decent lift with shocks and go.

My thought EXACTLY...

the last thought on your mind will be "oh s***, wish i bought the fox shocks"... it will be more like "oh s***, where am I going to find uncontaminated water when i run out of these few gallons i have".

Look at Ironman leaf springs. They make nice products and I have yet to hear anything bad about them. There is also OME of course...meh.

When the zombies come, you'll want a diesel so you don't have to fuel up as often. As for suspension, sounds like OME medium or heavy would do the trick. No need for spring over axle for the usage you describe.

:edit: Also, volks on a 60 is just a waste of money. For a "bug out" vehicle, you'll want steelies so you can fix them with a hammer or a crowbar in case you bend one.

Last edited:
A landcruiser has no need for expensive racing shocks or volk wheels. Its a forklift powered brick that's built like a tank and made to move about as fast.

If your not rock crawling, don't even consider a spring over. End of story.

Just throw a set of add-a-leaf's at it and call it good. If you need more, check out Ironman, OME, or HFS.

....No comment on the silly "Bugout" craze...

A landcruiser has no need for expensive racing shocks or volk wheels. Its a forklift powered brick that's built like a tank and made to move about as fast.

If your not rock crawling, don't even consider a spring over. End of story.

Just throw a set of add-a-leaf's at it and call it good. If you need more, check out Ironman, OME, or HFS.

....No comment on the silly "Bugout" craze...

Thanks everyone for the info, good stuff. I will check all that stuff out.

Bugout isn't and shouldn't be a craze, I am not worried about zombies. But I do worry about earthquakes in CA, if a big one hits, I just want to be able to drive the car around if required since me Prius probably won't make it around big potholes or debris. OK no go on the fox or king shocks, but I still might do the Volks just for around town.

costem wheels and king shox- just spend that fetti on a unimog and be done with it

If you're truly going to be carrying one heavy load then you want a full floating rear axle.

Let's assume you're like most of us and you won't be towing or carrying outrageous loads.

A set of add a lead (AAL) springs is the cheap way to add carrying capacity without breaking the bank.

If you truly want to be able to travel any decent distance you're going to need a lot of gas. The two options are a long range tank that holds 50 gallons or your stock 22 gallon tank and lots of gas cans which take up room.

If you plan on driving in the streets of CA after an earthquake then a decent winch 9,000 lbs or more would be required to move debris, power poles, or remove yourself from a ditch. I have a 12,000 lb winch since I got it cheap off craigslist and it fit in my arb bumper.

Well, I kinda built my 60 with the same things in mind as you (I'm in the SFV) ... I went with OME EXTRA-heavies. (CS005's) which are designed for constant heavy loads, as you'll prolly experience if you're throwing everything including Grandma in the truck and heading for the CA desert, or building an expedition rig with RTT (roof top tent). Also, if you install a 40 gal tank, it's a good choice for that extra gas weight.

Ironman is another choice for extra heavy loads and I believe Mark Algazy of Marksoffroad.net in Burbank, CA has the set with Nitro shocks.

Though, my real solution for SHTF is high-capacity magazines. And I don't mean Toyota Trails. ;)

Reactions: SAS
Well, I kinda built my 60 with the same things in mind as you (I'm in the SFV) ... I went with OME EXTRA-heavies. (CS005's) which are designed for constant heavy loads, as you'll prolly experience if you're throwing everything including Grandma in the truck and heading for the CA desert, or building an expedition rig with RTT (roof top tent). Also, if you install a 40 gal tank, it's a good choice for that extra gas weight.

Ironman is another choice for extra heavy loads and I believe Mark Algazy of Marksoffroad.net in Burbank, CA has the set with Nitro shocks.

Though, my real solution for SHTF is high-capacity magazines. And I don't mean Toyota Trails. ;)

I totally am with you and thanks for all the information guys. I have been wondering because people install Nitro shocks with Heavys and mediums and I thought generally a shock and spring needed to be paired, but it seems most people don't do that. I know it will work, but was confused because there weren't specific pairings.

I do agree with you, if SHTF here in regards to natural disaster, I would load it up with similar things, I think humans are the most unpredictable and dangerous variable during those times.

If your that serious about having a bug out vehicle I would approach it differently. I would find a good small trailer like a military 1/4 ton that I would keep load with most the stuff I planned on taking. To get a quick get away your not going to want to be running around the house gathering the items your taking but instead have then stored in one location. Why not have then in the trailer ready to go. Even if you have everything store together it might look like a (insert what country you want here) fire drill getting it loaded unless you practice it a bunch. I know when my kids were still at home it was quite the chore figuring how to get all the camping gear in the back of my FJ62.

Reactions: SAS
I think humans are the most unpredictable and dangerous variable during those times.

Living in the past - I don't necessarily disagree with you (and sorry for the wee hijack, OP, since this is supposed to be a suspension thread), but after the '94 Northridge quake, which was comparatively minor to what's coming, the 12-24 hours after the quake were surreal to me with the rapid breakdown in civil organization and obedience. I had a trailer, and the BIG problem was trying to back up and get the fawk around things when traffic or idiots or both were blocking intersections - and it wasn't that bad! IMHO a trailer is great for camping in good times, but for a bug-out-stash, I won't make that mistake again. My 60 is ideally suited to be relatively nimble and carry the goods and a lot of gas and if necessary go the route less traveled. The trailer was a fawking nightmare and it actually got clipped by some panicky azzhole trying to go around me, through a red light. He took off and I couldn't turn around to go after him to get a plate!

Wherever one ends up escaping a natural disaster, you can just unload your sh*t and make camp. I have my stuff in large HD totes ready to go and load quickly.

That's all...

Spike,
Don't forget ham radios....

Yeah, I know you guys have geared up pretty well with the HAM equipment, from Doug, no doubt. I currently only have CB and FMRS and would like to get a good mobile HAM unit but have no idea what to buy. My selection of radio knowledge extends to the oldies station.

:meh:

Living in the past - I don't necessarily disagree with you (and sorry for the wee hijack, OP, since this is supposed to be a suspension thread), but after the '94 Northridge quake, ....

Wherever one ends up escaping a natural disaster, you can just unload your sh*t and make camp. I have my stuff in large HD totes ready to go and load quickly.

That's all...

I am old enough to see the LA riots and the Northridge Earthquake, that is exactly what I am talking about. I am not worried and having sleepless nights because of this, but I do want to prepare a vehicle that I can drive daily but also be ready if anything like this happens again. I know that many think I am overkill, asking about the FOX and King, but the reason I ask, is for this reason. If there is failure for some reason and it is worth to pay more for something, I will save up and do it. I just want to prepare the vehicle so it can get around craziness if it happens as you said. The winch is a good idea and all the suggestions were really great, you guys are a good community and resource and I appreciate everyones input. A lot of food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom