Suspension Question (OME) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have posted before about suspension concerning body roll/lean and general overall lack of absorbtion of shock. My OME setup ("stock replacement") is over two years old and I drive the terrible roads of San Diego County (almost #1 in the nation) everyday in my daily driver FZJ80.

My question is:

I see coil springs on other trucks and they do not "stack up" like my coils do at the top as you can see from the attached pictures. Instead, each rung is evenly separated like the bottom of my coil in the attached picture. Is this normal for OME coils or any coil springs for that matter?

Also, if it is normal, could it be that my shocks are just plain worn out and not doing the job of dampening shock and controlling body lean somewhat (probably in addition to original, 12 year old, sway bars and bushings)? I know OME shocks are not really designed for high speed stuff like maybe the baja style bilstein shocks that are meant for high speed and bumps but rather the slow speed rock climbing stuff.

How long do shocks generally last?
How long do coils last?
If the shocks are shot, should I replace with monroe or bilsteins considering I don't offroad that much at all but drive these horrible highways of San Diego County?

===============================
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42659

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42338
Dscn0906.jpg
Dscn0908.jpg

allen_ajones said:
My question is:

I see coil springs on other trucks and they do not "stack up" like my coils do at the top as you can see from the attached pictures. Instead, each rung is evenly separated like the bottom of my coil in the attached picture. Is this normal for OME coils or any coil springs for that matter?]

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is a progressive spring, vs. one that has even coil spacing which would be a continuous rate spring.

allen_ajones? said:
How long do shocks generally last?

All depends on usuage, rough roads are going to wear them out quicker than smooth. When you bounce up and down on the bumper, does it tend to continue to bounce?

Walking Eagle said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is a progressive spring, vs. one that has even coil spacing which would be a continuous rate spring.

All depends on usuage, rough roads are going to wear them out quicker than smooth. When you bounce up and down on the bumper, does it tend to continue to bounce?

Yes it does somewhat. Not real bad though. But when I brake and come to a stop, man it does move alot. When I am in turn, jeez, lots of roll. It is very noticeable. It's like the body of the car and the frame are not even attached but actually separate. Not solid all one unit feel. HATE IT!

I would send an email to ARB to see if that's normal? I asked them about progressive springs at SEMA and they said, progressives were only available in some of the short springs to keep them seated when flexed.

I'd look to your suspension bushings. The rubber in the radius and control arms will wear out. A full bushing replacement will probably make a world of difference. Also look at the poly in your shock bushings. If it is warped the shocks will move as an assembly before doing any dampening.

Nay

This great info.
Post more pics of the above mentioned items.
This would be a good faq

Please explain

Nay said:
I'd look to your suspension bushings. The rubber in the radius and control arms will wear out. A full bushing replacement will probably make a world of difference. Also look at the poly in your shock bushings. If it is warped the shocks will move as an assembly before doing any dampening.

Nay

Are any of the things you mentioned visible in my posted pictures?
------------------------
Not sway bar bushings but "suspension bushings"?
What are suspension bushings? Are they called "bump stops"?
What are radius arms?
Control arms have bushings too?
THe poly in the shock bushings? Wouldn't I have to replace the whole shock?

What do you mean by "the shocks will move as assembly before doing any dampening"?

You really sound like you have experienced what I have. Just a little further explanation and I should get.

Not sure what is causing your problem, but the "stacking up" you point out in your photo appears to be normal (progressive spring rate, I presume?).

Here's a photo from the ARB (OME) website:

Coil_mainpic.jpg

Hayes

OK then, anybody have opinions on aftermarket sway bars.....stronger and thicker than stock?

allen_ajones said:
OK then, anybody have opinions on aftermarket sway bars.....stronger and thicker than stock?

Don't bother. I had gotten heavy sways with my MAF kit years ago. There was no allocation for the front locker harness that ran along the front bar and the rear rusted out rather quickly. I never put on the front and just replaced the rear with OEM from a salvage yard. Big waste of money and time.

sounds like you need shocks for sure, assuming the all the sway bars/other stuff is intact. I've had the same symptoms on other vehicles and new shocks made a world of difference around turns and during braking.

if you lift up a corner of you truck, does that spring's coils unwind any at the top? if so, it could be like tools said, to keep the spring intact during articulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom