Suspension options for 1975 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, thanks for the feedback on the Roll Cage options for fitting in the stock rear jump seats, much appreciated! Now I'm moving on to the suspension. I'm looking at replacing what I have but I'm looking for any improvements I can make to the whole system while maintaining the stock side height. Any suggestions or warnings I should heed? I'm looking for a daily driver type of situation for my wife to drive, nothing crazy. Thanks in advance!

An OME suspension kit with a Shackle Reversal is going to net you about the best ride and handling short of a SOA or custom link suspension.
It does lift 2.5" but 33" tires in combination make it a rather nice setup.

If you're happy with the ride height, just replace all the rubber spring bushings with poly replacements. Make sure you lube them. It will smooth up the ride some but it won't float like a Cad.

As far as I can tell, it is the stock suspension with the shackles in the forward position. The vehicle seems to lean to the drivers side a little so I assume the stock springs are starting to give out

your requirement for maintaining the stock height is going to limit you greatly in options.
Start at post #137 in this thread for an option for stock height springs. Vendor said they are in stock ready to ship.

build: 71 FJ40 “Stripes” - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/build-71-fj40-stripes.1255682/page-7#post-14589913

The shackle bushings are still available from Toyota.
I bought some greasable shackles from cruiser outfitters @cruiseroutfit as well as some new ubolts.

As far as I can tell, it is the stock suspension with the shackles in the forward position. The vehicle seems to lean to the drivers side a little so I assume the stock springs are starting to give out

My 40 has leaned since the day I bought it. Put new OME suspension on it (two different times), then did a spring over. It still leans to the drivers side.

The Land Cruiser Lean is an immutable law of Land Cruisers.
It's up there on the same shelf with Gravity. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom