suspension lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to install a 4" lift on my 74 FJ40, with 35" tires. Any other mods needed besides extended brake line, dropped pitman arm ? Is steering column a problem? I have Saginaw pwr. steering. Do the diffs. need to be shimmed for drive-line angle? Any input is appreciated. Any input on Downey 4" springs? Alex

Don't know about the Downey's, I'm going skyjacker kit from my local 4wheel parts performance center.  They will match any price I find, and will include shocks if I find another place that includes shocks. (Their site includes shocks, so that is what I will use). $610 with
Front Springs
Rear Springs
Eliminator Front shocks
Eliminator Rear Shocks
Spring Bushings
Spring U-Bolts
Woody and Halo didn't have any complaints, and others like them too, and its fairly inexpensive so thats what I'm getting.  How much are the Downeys for comparison?  The softrides by themselves are ~ $70 apiece. I know that I need extended brake lines, but 4x4 parts wholesalers doesn't carry them for cruisers. How long will I need and where can I get them? Stainless braided is what I want correct?

Someone posted a few weeks ago about the SkyJacker spring sale at TPI. I think they said they were $75 each. Even if they are stiff, it would probably ride better than my flat OEM springs.

Downey offroad has the springs and bushings for $378.00. Also have the braided steel brake lines, 38.00 for the single line.

i don't know about their cruiser springs but i have a set of 3" springs on the rear of an 86 pick up.

they faded real fast.
5 yrs after installion they've saged atleast 1-1.25. the rear sits quite lower than the front(front springs are downey torsion bars with rancho arms).

i have a set of downey 3"springs on the rear of an 86 pu.
put them on 5 of so yrs ago, in that time they've saged almost 1.5"'s.needless to say the rear sits quite lowwer than the front(downey torsion bars rancho arms).

i never carried anything of weight or did any towing.

Sheesh, did everyone get that...?
yodahead.gif

I run the bds 4" springs, they have the caster built in like the ome's do. They have a lifetime warranty, their shocks are nice and squishy. I run 1" over stock length shackles to let the springs flatten...

You may want to try an Earl's distibutor for the brake line. I picked mine up from a shop in Atlanta for $15.

Barnettperformance.com

The part number I used is:

10mm Male - Female - 26" long

If you need different lengths, the last two digits are the length.

Hope this helps.

I have the 4" downey leaf springs on my 76 FJ40 right now, they ride great and flex well for a SUA. I haven't had the sagging problem yet, but i've only had them on since october. So far no complaints... i probably won't have them long enough to know if they sag or not cause i'm seeing SOA in the future :D

Someone posted a few weeks ago about the SkyJacker spring sale at TPI.  I think they said they were $75 each.  Even if they are stiff, it would probably ride better than my flat OEM springs.
I would suggest the Skyjackers. I have them and they are not stiff at all. Just get a good set of shocks when you get your lift. Shocks can make or break a decent ride. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom