Suspension lift problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finished installing a 4 inch BDS suspension lift and all went well. I went to test drive all seemed good in my drive way but i went out on the street and agian all was good untill i reached like 30 or 40 mph. I heard and felt a vibration. Is this a driveshaft problem. If so How do i fix and is it expensive? ???

check your driveshaft phase...make sure u-joints are aligned properly. Also check the u-joint operating angles at the rear diff and at the t-case. The angles outta match...see http://www.4xshaft.com for good d-shaft tech pics.

You may find you need a shim in the back springs to adjust pinion angle...did you do shackles AND the lift, or just the lift springs alone?

Just the 4 inch lift. No shackle lift. If i had to use shims i dont understand how they would work. They go btwn the axel and the spring pack right? there is the alignment pin there if i put a shim there wont it throw things off like will the pin be long enough?

some shims come with their own built-in pinhole and dimple for install...usually, those are steel and those are the good ones...IMO, worth it. They install between the spring and axle, and tip the pinion down or up depending on orientation....if I were to guess, you need to tip the pinion down...but your measurements based on the info at Tom Wood's site will answer that.

Are these shims expensive? And where would I get them from?

hhhhmmm...I'm not sure who has steel shims, good ones. PM poser on the forum and see if he's got a source, or carries them himself.

No clue on prices....

When I put my 4" TPI lift on the major vibration was from the yokes being mis-aligned it got much smoother when they were aligned. I still had quite a bit of vibration so I put new u-joints in thinking the old joints were worn to the old driveline angles. The final step was to retube the rear drive shaft and have it balanced since the previous owner had extended it and done some backyard welding.

I never had to shim the rear but it might have been a easier fix :p

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=SHIMS

shims should be available at most tire/alignment shops for a couple bucks, let us know what works!

Deep south, I wouldnt have any problems with my driveshaft would I, It has never been extended or modified. I think i want to put new u joints in, helped my dad install a few. Is it possible to get spicer ones or are the ones manafre offers as good.

I called napa (where My fam has a discount) and They told me that the spicers are now discontinued is this true? And they said they only carry one u joint and its not greaseable 20.99 a piece my price. Any info?

any info.

Bull22-Its your yokes. I have the 4"BDS and had the exact same problem when I put mine on, my thread on this was almost the exact same. Align them and you will have no problems. I dont have shims and there are no issues at all.

Noob question as I am in the process of getting a BDS 4" lift, How do you go about aligning the yokes?

Thanks for the patience.

Zetasig I emailed you all the info I have recieved. That should Help I will be trying what I have been told tomorrow.

I just finished a 4" Skyjacker lift my self. Have not driven yet. My shafts slipped apart so I’m not sure if they went back together the same way. Will that be a problem?
Thnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom