Suspension Lift Kits - 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have a picture? Would love to see how that looks.

Little does anyone know that back in the day, @rkymtnflyfisher had 44's......but there wasn't anywhere to secure the fly-rods and the rumbling 44's scared all the wild trout he was after :rofl:

14222180_10154021028018985_3039131279926967403_n.jpg

You should look up his "re-build" thread.....(just kidding)......one of the nicest 40's on the board, but the background scenery really needs some work

20200227_121752.jpg

For those of you that installed 4" skyjacker lift kits did you install the 4" kit for both front and rear or 2" in front and 4" in rear?

For those of you that installed 4" skyjacker lift kits did you install the 4" kit for both front and rear or 2" in front and 4" in rear?

My rig already had the lift when I bought it, but it is 4” front and rear.

Funny part is that I run stock length shackles up front but extended length shackles on the rear.

Little does anyone know that back in the day, @rkymtnflyfisher had 44's......but there wasn't anywhere to secure the fly-rods and the rumbling 44's scared all the wild trout he was after :rofl:

View attachment 2423300

Yeah, you can totally see where his conduit-bending and urinal mint skills came into play on that build!

Last edited:
The only benefit anti inversion shackles offers is the shackles wont invert if your springs are too short, trail riding and the suspension droops. Ive never had a problem with that issue. I ran 4" skyjackers yrs ago with extended shackles and never had a problem with inversion. I just put 4" skyjacker springs on my 75 40, but haven't driven it. It will probably get 33s or 35s. Anymore, I make my own shackles. You probably could fit 35's with a 4" lift, but it would depend on the tire and wheel combo.

You should look up his "re-build" thread.....(just kidding)......one of the nicest 40's on the board, but the background scenery really needs some work

View attachment 2423306
Such a sweet ride!!
Ironically, mine is also going to be a shade of green. The government in Guatemala makes you pay them to change the color of the car, so will have to look for a decent green color.

Toyota changed from 25mm to 35mm eyes at a certain point, I believe it was 1980.

Someone around here will know the exact date.
8/80

Is there a list of components that I SHOULD make sure sure to address with a 4 inch lift?

Shackles
U Joints
Extended Break Lines
Caster Shims?

I'm considering these shocks: Bilstein 5125 4" Front and Rear
Anyone have any negative reviews for the Bilstein shocks?

Is there a list of components that I SHOULD make sure sure to address with a 4 inch lift?

Shackles
U Joints
Extended Break Lines
Caster Shims?

With a 4" lift you will need caster shims on the front axle for sure, and probably shims on the rear to correct the working angles on the drive shaft u-joints. Extended brake lines a good idea; not sure if they are a requirement or not - I put a 3" lift on mine, with extended shackles, and my stock brake lines are long enough.

With a 4" lift you will need caster shims on the front axle for sure, and probably shims on the rear to correct the working angles on the drive shaft u-joints. Extended brake lines a good idea; not sure if they are a requirement or not - I put a 3" lift on mine, with extended shackles, and my stock brake lines are long enough.
Thanks, what degree shim should I consider?
SOR has the following in their website, would it depend on the shackle length? What if I kept stock length shackles with the 4 inch lift?

ShackleShim
1" - 1 1/2" longer than stock2.5 degree
2" - 2 1/2" longer than stock4.0 degree
3" & longer6.0 degree

SOR has the following in their website, would it depend on the shackle length? What if I kept stock length shackles with the 4 inch lift?

ShackleShim
3" & longer6.0 degree

The way to do it right is to measure after the lift. The specs are in the factory service manual for steering caster on the front, and for the back you'll need an angle finder to measure the pinion flange and the transfer case drive flange. A small bit of basic geometry to calculate how much you need to rotate the rear axle to make the u-joint working angles equal but opposite.

The SOR table is rule-of-thumb or a place to start I guess, but there's a lot of variables between different lifts, springs, and shackles.

Shackles
U Joints
Extended Break Lines
Caster Shims?

I'm considering these shocks: Bilstein 5125 4" Front and Rear
Anyone have any negative reviews for the Bilstein shocks?
Bilsteins on my Tundra, 4Runner and FJ40 - nothing but good things from my perspective - caster shims - yes - not sure on degree's, I let Georg at Valley Hybrids tell me what was needed

The way to do it right is to measure after the lift. The specs are in the factory service manual for steering caster on the front, and for the back you'll need an angle finder to measure the pinion flange and the transfer case drive flange. A small bit of basic geometry to calculate how much you need to rotate the rear axle to make the u-joint working angles equal but opposite.

The SOR table is rule-of-thumb or a place to start I guess, but there's a lot of variables between different lifts, springs, and shackles.
Makes sense. This helps a lot.

Makes sense. This helps a lot.

Experiment with things, don't be afraid to make adjustments, even if they are a huge pain in the arse, it all pays off when you get it dialed in right.

Alright, gave Skyjacker a call.
They said if the post-80 is the same length as the pre-80 FJ's than their kit should fit, the only difference would be the bushings for the thicker leaf pin.
Hence the 25mm vs 35mm options I see in Dobinsons website.

Can someone confirm if this is accurate?

Can anyone provide feedback on the SOR 2" lift springs?
Ride quality?
Was a caster shim required?

ShackleShim
3" & longer6.0 degree
4-6° shims if 4” lift. At least the stock rear shackles are way too short for 4” lift springs.

Alright, gave Skyjacker a call.
They said if the post-80 is the same length as the pre-80 FJ's than their kit should fit, the only difference would be the bushings for the thicker leaf pin.
Hence the 25mm vs 35mm options I see in Dobinsons website.

Can someone confirm if this is accurate?
That’s right, the spring length is the same.

That’s right, the spring length is the same.
Okay, perfect. I'm getting somewhere!
4-6° shims if 4” lift. At least the stock rear shackles are way too short for 4” lift springs.
What length shackles are needed for the rear for a 4" lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom