Suspension Lift Kit 101 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, long time creeper first-time poster!

I grew up with my Mom's hand me down FJ80 and I've always wanted to get my own.
I finally pulled the trigger and bought my friend's FJ62 (after thorough inspection).

It is awesome. Pic

Aside from a new bumper that is begging for a winch, dark tint, and rolling on a set of 31s the car is stock.
I bought the FJ for driving around town comfortably but most important: I live in Portland, Oregon and I need to get out and explore more of the beauty of this amazing state. I have a friend who has a lifted '95 Range Rover Classic and I want to join him out in the country.

For the purposes of offroading, I think it could be wise to lift the FJ. Aesthetics are definitely a part of this, too. I've done my research and it seems pretty clear a 2" old man EMU is the way to go. I'm slightly worried about the higher center of gravity and body roll, though. There are highways in Portland and by Mt Hood where the speed limit is 55 and at that speed, I already get an uneasy feeling of the car tipping to the side. In reading about suspension kits it sounds like a proper kit would actually improve highway handling despite a higher center of gravity.

I've tried reading around to get the answer before posting but nothing seems to really hit at my super elementary question: is a lift kit REALLY something I should get?

Thanks!

Congrats on your new fj62...
OME springs give you a firmer ride with more clearance; paired with 33” tires it’s night and day from stock in looks and function.
As far as body roll, you may want to check your sway bar bushings to see if they are worn.
Since your in Portland, you could call Willamette Boulevard Service, they know cruisers inside and out. I’m sure they could answer your questions regarding an OME lift.

Can't go wrong with an Old Man Emu suspension. I went with the medium springs and the ride and stance are great. I purchased mine from Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters in Sandy, Utah. MY 33" BFG AT's fit just right. Welcome to the madness.

OME gives you a firmer ride with more clearance; paired with 33” tires it’s night and day from stock in looks and function.
As far as body roll, you may want to check your sway bar bushings to see if they are worn.
Since your in Portland, you could call Willamette Boulevard Service, they know cruisers inside and out. I’m sure they could answer your questions regarding an OME lift.
Agreed . Check the sway bar. I can scoot along at 70mph comfy until i hit a turn on the freeway. My sway bar is held on by my hopes and dreams. I need to look into fixing it soon.

Picked up my first FJ62 a couple months ago. Just finished up installing a OME Heavy lift on it. I don’t anymore or less body roll than before. Had factory spring and newer shocks on it. If you go with a OME lift I can’t recommend cruiser outfitters enough, they “throw in” all the parts you need specifically for the FJ60/62 (pin bushings, extended sway bar links, etc)

Also, I know that the 62 is a dog with the auto transmission and that people suggest sticking with 31’s although you do see people running 33’s on them. So if you want more clearance comb through the threads and see what people are saying about the a440 with 33’s before jumping straight into a set of those.

a suspension should improve body roll but check the sway bars and bushings. Dead and split bushings = more play = more sway. Maybe someone removed or disconnected the rear sway bar in search of more flex.

Worn shocks, tie rods/drag links, and steering box could contribute to the feeling of uneasiness in corners too.
You have the advantage of being able to know what your friend has and hasn’t done so that’s a huge plus.

in proper condition the truck can handle anything fine if you are staying relatively close to the speed limit. Is this your first old or leaf sprung truck? It may just be a new feeling too.

As others suggested, I’d consider searching regarding 31s vs. 33s. In a lot
of peoples’ opinion including mine, 33s are what make these look best and perform best off-road. However, they really impact the performance of the a440f especially in the mountains. Regearing or an H55F 5 speed are pricey-ish but obtainable mods to address that.

the one thing that you definitely need to add to your near-term to do list is an auxiliary transmission cooler especially if you go to bigger tires. It’s cheap insurance.

If it is on the original springs, then a new suspension will be a huge improvement. The ride quality will be better, both on and off road. Handling will improve too. I would not be too concerned over raising the center of gravity. Doesn't sound like you're going to be hitting lots of extreme trails, not should you in that rig. It is too nice!

What were you driving before that you say you bought it for "driving around town comfortably"? While I love my cruisers, comfort is not something I would put high in my description of any of them. They are by no means uncomfortable, but they are basically a truck back from the days before trucks were a luxury vehicle.

I've been to the most amazing places in Oregon in my cruisers. There is lots of rarely seen beauty in our state and your cruiser is a great vehicle to get you there and more importantly back.

First of all, thank you to everyone for the guidance and help.

EMU lift: Glad to hear that this will do a lot to improve handling and ride both off and on-road. I'm not looking for a dramatic improvement in on-road ride quality. I knew the 62 was not going to be smooth as butter. And to answer your question, Cruzerman, the car I drove before the 62 was a Audi Q5...so night and day difference! But before that I had a N180 4Runner and an FJ80 Cruiser. The Q5 actually helped to push me toward the 62 because a: I was never taking full advantage of its sports car abilities b: the damn thing struggled to get skiing on Mt Hood. And I'll talk to CruiserOutfitters sounds like they'll provide the guidance that a novice like I really need.

Bushings and Sway Bar: I will talk to my mechanic about taking a look at this. Great to know!

Upgrading my 31s to 33s: to make sure I understand this right - getting the larger tires will sap so much power from the truck that it will struggle at highway speeds at high elevation? And the fix is to upgrade the tranny? If this is all correct I think I'll get the larger tires without the upgrade tranny. I don't really have a problem with losing too much power at these edge cases because they won't be too frequent and dropping another grand or whatever it costs seems unappetizing at this point. I'd rather see how the truck handles in this edge case and if it's really THAT rough then I'll reconsider.

Aux Transmission cooler: noted!

Please correct me if I'm off base here. Love all the input, everyone! And Cruzerman I'd love to hear about some of the best places you've been in Oregon.

Happy 4th, gang!

Yes, I’d say your interpretation of the point of the a440 and power loss with 33s is accurate. It’s just important to know the driving characteristics do change meaningfully. Holding 2nd at 45mph on a 2 mile ascent isn’t for everyone but it isn’t a complete disaster. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.

If you’re planning to drive in snow a lot become acquainted with Fluid Film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom