Suspension lift and tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I wish this wasn't my first thread as I know this has been beaten too death.

New owner of a 77 40. I am planning a complete body off rebuild. I read tons of FAQ posts and got a lot of great ideas. My plan was to go with a OME 2.5" lift, stock steel wheels, and 33x9.50 . I loved the pictures in the 33x9.50 FAQ thread. Well, that was until I realized I can't find any tires in the 33x9.50.

The 40 will be used for mostly road use and some Off road hunting. I found the Super swamper TSL in a 32x9.50. The tread seems pretty aggressive and I am wondering how it will do on the road? This is going to be an occasional driver, that will see limited use. Tires will probably rot before they wear out. I just want a vintage narrow look with a small lift.

Can anyone suggest a good tire or point me to some pictures of a 2.5 lift with something besides BFG 33x9.50?

What a great resource, and I thank everyone that put together all the FAQ's. I have found out just about everything I need from them. Thank you.

Well, I wish this wasn't my first thread as I know this has been beaten too death.

New owner of a 77 40. I am planning a complete body off rebuild. I read tons of FAQ posts and got a lot of great ideas. My plan was to go with a OME 2.5" lift, stock steel wheels, and 33x9.50 . I loved the pictures in the 33x9.50 FAQ thread. Well, that was until I realized I can't find any tires in the 33x9.50.

The 40 will be used for mostly road use and some Off road hunting. I found the Super swamper TSL in a 32x9.50. The tread seems pretty aggressive and I am wondering how it will do on the road? This is going to be an occasional driver, that will see limited use. Tires will probably rot before they wear out. I just want a vintage narrow look with a small lift.

Can anyone suggest a good tire or point me to some pictures of a 2.5 lift with something besides BFG 33x9.50?

What a great resource, and I thank everyone that put together all the FAQ's. I have found out just about everything I need from them. Thank you.

So I have a 78 with a 4" inch lift that runs Goodyear MTr 35x12.5 in the winter and BFG AT 31x9.5 in the winter. I don't drove it in the winter now that I live in Boston however last winter in order to get the FJ40 into the garage with the top on I couldn't go any bigger than 31. I have attached pictures and yes the tires look small but for my purpose it worked out great. FYI it drives much better with the 31.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi all,

The OME 2 inch suspension lift and BFG A/T tires in the 33X10.5R15 size would look good together, and do well on the street/highway.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at tires for hours. I have looked at so many threads on lifts and tires my head is spinning. I really think I am going to go with the 2.5 lift and 33x10.5 BFG. I have seen a few rigs with that setup and they look great. At least that is tonights decision!

I agree, love the skinny taller tire look. With the bfgs a/t's 33/10.5 u can't go wrong. They last long and work great in snow and have a strong sidewall. Not to mention the price, very affordable. I've used this tire in many pickups and fj40s and they work great. Just remember with the 2.5 lift it sags after awhile and with 33 it may get close. I always go with the 4" inch lift but that's just my preference. U can always add a shackle lift.

Think toyo makes a 33-10.50 if not standard there in metric little less agressive then the swampers and not much road noise compaired to swamper. Nitto has good tires also

I agree, love the skinny taller tire look. With the bfgs a/t's 33/10.5 u can't go wrong. They last long and work great in snow and have a strong sidewall. Not to mention the price, very affordable. I've used this tire in many pickups and fj40s and they work great. Just remember with the 2.5 lift it sags after awhile and with 33 it may get close. I always go with the 4" inch lift but that's just my preference. U can always add a shackle lift.

thanks. Great to know. Four inch seems high to me, but some of the pictures I have seen look very nice. If I read things correctly, with the OME lift they are somewhat adjustable. I am looking at the Man a fee OME medium load,standard lift. When everything opens tuesday, I am going to make a couple of phone calls and start spending some dough. Let the fun begin.

Can you explain how a leaf spring lift is adjustable? 33" skinny's, a 2.5" lift will be fine. I am on a 4" lift, extended shackles, 1" body lift and 35x12.5x15's and think the look is perfect but I do wheel it and stuff the rear passenger tire into the fender every now and again. :eek:

upload1798641170.jpg

I put 33x10.5x15 BFG TA's on my truck this summer with OEM steelies and hubcaps ... the tire guy who I've done a lot of business with grumbled a wee bit about the OEM 5.5" width rim, but mounted them ... they're great and I have manual steering ... I have the OME 2.5 lift (heavy) and while it rides a little rough (which I expected), it looks great with the 33s ...

I put 33x10.5x15 BFG TA's on my truck this summer with OEM steelies and hubcaps ... the tire guy who I've done a lot of business with grumbled a wee bit about the OEM 5.5" width rim, but mounted them ... they're great and I have manual steering ... I have the OME 2.5 lift (heavy) and while it rides a little rough (which I expected), it looks great with the 33s ...

I found a picture of a 40 on the cool cruiser site of a similar set up and I thought it looked great. I am a long way from that part (just posted an intro thread ) but I want to go ahead and get things ordered and on the way. Just in case it comes apart faster than I expect! Thanks.

Well not BFG 9.5s but here how the 10.5s look and would fit your mission pretty we'll.

My 82 has bfg 33/10.5/15's on OME 2" lift, with white spoke wheels in my avatar. My 78 has the gray wheels with caps also with bfg 33/10.5/15's with 2 " OME lift from Kurt.

I couldn't find any skinnier tire as of a couple months ago and the TOYOs were gonna take a couple months to get. I'm pleased with what I have and they ride well. They aren't greatest on the snow but I rarely drive em in wintertime anyway.
image.jpg

Last edited:
33x10.5 15s on OEM steelies.... with OME 2.5" lift from Kurt.
image.jpg

or this
image.jpg

why not get a 4 inch lift to begin with - they all sag pretty soon anyway :meh:

Well not BFG 9.5s but here how the 10.5s look and would fit your mission pretty we'll.

My 82 has bfg 33/10.5/15's on OME 2" lift, with white spoke wheels in my avatar. My 78 has the gray wheels with caps also with bfg 33/10.5/15's with 2 " OME lift from Kurt.

33x10.5 15s on OEM steelies.... with OME 2.5" lift from Kurt.
View attachment 1132300

Thanks guys, great looking rigs :cool:

4.5" Lift (Skyjacker springs, Bilstein shocks, and 1.5" over front 2.5" over rear anti-inversion shackles) with 33x10.5r15 BFG ATs on the factory wheels. You can get away with a 2.5", but I was more worried about tire travel in the rear fenders. Mine are uncut and I prefer that look. The 40 is a bit tall, but I don't think it looks overly tall.

11402369_10101344906084480_7036209759918649305_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom