Suspension installation help.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just getting back into cruisers (had a '84 a 7 years ago) and just bought a '93 80 series. I plan to put a EMU lift kit on it but do not feel comfortable doing it myself. I am hoping someone can either suggest a good local (reasonable) shop near Long Beach or perhaps i can pay someone (along with :beer: and pizza) to install it for me...(I would like to help as much as i can). ANy help or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sean

First off, Welcome! Hopefully someone can help you install it. Like i said in the 80's tech section im busy with my own '93. If you can't find anyone, head over to Yotmasters in Corona and talk to Eric. They do great work and have done tons of work on 80 series cruisers.

Oh yeah, post up a pic of your rig Sean, just cause it's stock doesnt mean we dont want to see it.

Sean, it is easy to install a lift on your rig in the driveway, only hard part is pressing the new bushings out and the old ones in. If you were closer and I didn't have to build my truck for the Con I'd help out and do the whole thing with you. Host a Monthly meeting and I don't doubt that you'll have it done in a few hours with all the guys helping out.

...Host a Monthly meeting and I don't doubt that you'll have it done in a few hours with all the guys helping out.

Great idea Sam! From the 80s tech thread, dont you have one of the SJC SoCal80s volunteering to help? Thats a good start there. :wrench:
Id help you but my life is in shambles right now. :hillbilly:

Welcome! :flipoff2:

Monthly meeting!

If we have one, I'd like to install one of these:
YouTube - Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis

Anyone wanna help me out? Its just for decoration, thats it and thats all.

I was actually looking at this kit from MAF: Old Man Emu and 4+Plus 80 Series 3-inch Suspension Kit ...No pressing bushing and i heard/read ghood things about it. Any thoughts from the group ? I am all for hosting a meeting, just need to know the details. Honestly though, can a newbie really install this himself?

...Honestly though, can a newbie really install this himself?

Yeah, and the best part is you won't be a newbie after yer done! Welcome on. :flipoff2:

I'd be glad to help, but I gotta finish up my major project first, are you in a rush?

Dan.

I'm down to wrench and I'm only a few miles away. Plus it'll help when I put mine on.

Only if you promise to peel out of the driveway, almost side swipe another car and then run a stop sign. Wooo....woooo.

"...peel out of the driveway..." In an 80??? :hmm:

I was actually looking at this kit from MAF: Old Man Emu and 4+Plus 80 Series 3-inch Suspension Kit ...No pressing bushing and i heard/read ghood things about it. Any thoughts from the group ? I am all for hosting a meeting, just need to know the details. Honestly though, can a newbie really install this himself?

I installed this exact lift on my 80. It was a very simple one man job. It took me the better part of an afternoon to install.

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. No i am not in a huge rush...I still need to pick up the kit, but wanted to get installation squared away before i spent $$$ at MAF to have it done. Honestly, it is great to get back into the Cruiser community and see that everyone is willing to lend a hand. If you don't mind, i will keep those that offered assistance names on hand and possibly hit you up in 2 -3 weeks for help ? I believe i have the proper air and hand tools and just need to pick up some quailty jack stands and another good floor jack. Is there anything else i am missing? Oh ya, :beer: and food on me when we are done! Thanks again!

Hey, another newbie question....
With this lift, what is the largest tire i can run ? I am not going crawling, but more overland camping/touring and that type of stuff. Last question....Can i get away with not regearing for a little while ? Will i have enough power to still be a semi-daily driver ?

Thanks again!

Hey, another newbie question....
With this lift, what is the largest tire i can run ? I am not going crawling, but more overland camping/touring and that type of stuff. Last question....Can i get away with not regearing for a little while ? Will i have enough power to still be a semi-daily driver ?

Thanks again!

you can go up to a 37" with some adjusments, if your doing expediton trails, I would run 33" or 34" tires, I run Toyo 35's and can feel the power loss on grades. GMHO

If the timing's right, I can bring along a floor jack and a pair of stands, unless you're fixed on a good excuse for another set.

IMO, If you're using it as a daily driver, pick a tire that you can live with, as an example I've driven BFG's both AT's and MT's and for daily use definitely prefer the AT. 285/75-16 is a 32" tire, may be too small for your lift, maybe a 305/75 or even 315/75. FWIW.

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. No i am not in a huge rush...I still need to pick up the kit, but wanted to get installation squared away before i spent $$$ at MAF to have it done. Honestly, it is great to get back into the Cruiser community and see that everyone is willing to lend a hand. If you don't mind, i will keep those that offered assistance names on hand and possibly hit you up in 2 -3 weeks for help ? I believe i have the proper air and hand tools and just need to pick up some quailty jack stands and another good floor jack. Is there anything else i am missing? Oh ya, :beer: and food on me when we are done! Thanks again!

I have not done this to my rig yet, but would like to learn. I'm willing to help, and I have a floor jack and stands. If the date you choose works with my schedule I'd be happy to bring them along.

Take care,
JR

A little late to the party but would be happy to help you get it done as well. I am a little south of you in Orange County and have everything that would be needed. PM or post up when you are closer to ready to do it. Honestly a one day thing and there are more than enough of us willing to help so no use paying a shop. ;)

Oh, Welcome. :flipoff2:

Im one of those if the date and the same day I can really go guys. Its been awhile since Ive seen fellow 80 drivers (been hanging around the FJCs) - I would really like to make the install party and see the direct relatives.

Post up - Long Beach is not that far. :D

You guys are friggin great! Honestly, i can not get over the replys and the offers to give me a hand ! Again, i am a complete newbie whenit comes to suspension and really wrenching hardcore on trucks, so i am looking forward to the education. So, i cannot make it up to MAF this weekend, but will purchase the kit in the next week or so and set up a date that will work with everyone for the install. Again, i am a little weak on the jack stands and jack, but i really needed to buy them anyway.

Are we looking to do this at my place (which is gret with me) ?

I will PM everyone that offered a hand wheni have the kit in hand and we can setup a date. And of course, beers and burgers are happily on me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom