suspension install order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm putting on my Downey 4" lift and wanted to know what order do you guys usually install the springs in?

Rear Axle
1) Bolt leaf spring to front spring perch
2) Bolt leaf spring to shackle (already bolted to rear perch)
3) Bolt axle to leaf spring

Or mayble bolt the axle to the leaf spring first?

Also regarding torque;
1. Torque U Bolts to 80 in the aire, then re torque to 100 on the ground, right?
2. Torque shackles to what? I would assume just enough to flatten the lock washers, right?

Sorry for the n00bie questions, but it's better to ask now then after.

Get the leaf spring installed into the solid spring hanger on the frame first, then attach the spring to the frame with the shacke, then set the axle back down on the springs and secure with the ubolts.

Get the leaf spring installed into the solid spring hanger on the frame first, then attach the spring to the frame with the shacke, then set the axle back down on the springs and secure with the ubolts.

Good, that's what I thought. I just had lots of time to think since Im waiting on my greasable spring perch bolts (one of mine broke when removing).
What about my torque numbers, do they look right?

Good, that's what I thought. I just had lots of time to think since Im waiting on my greasable spring perch bolts (one of mine broke when removing).
What about my torque numbers, do they look right?

60 ft lb. is what Haynes says for u-bolts. I can't find a spec in my FSM.

For the shackles just snug them up and keep an eye on them. If you use nylock nuts they won't back off. If you over tighten your ride will suffer greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom