Suspension Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hi everyone i'm new here on this forum and will introduce myself in de register 70 series topic but i wanted to add some info for albertom.

this is a review on emu dakar springs http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/ome-dakar.asp

i've bought those springs for my landcruiser bj71 (13BT) they a great on the road an off. Dobinsons are said to be very stiff suspension and they don't hold there lift for long. i'll post up some pics of my rig with emu dakar suspension

as promised a pic from my cruiser with emu dakar
DSC01490.jpg

Nice pic, im jealous! what shocks and springs are you running...lights, mediums or heavies?? if you happen to know the reference i.e. N88 or similar...i would be interested!

Nice ride!

the socks are old man emu nitro chargers (gas shocks) and i've got like 3 numbers from my springs. dakar part n° CS006F OME part n° OME67 and CS017A en B dakar part n° OME221A and B those are the medium springs i think

I'd Love to hear someone compare the OME vs the DOBINSONS kits... ride quality, flex, dependability, body roll, etc etc etc...

no one's got any opinions on OME vs DOBINSONS!?

descrete bump....

I can only talk about my bulletproof OME .. but nothing here about Dobinsons ..

no one's got any opinions on OME vs DOBINSONS!?

descrete bump....

Ive had my Dobinsons on the 73 series for 3-4 years and it still sits as flat as the day I bought it.
I think it has sagged about 10mm all round ,I periodically measure it from the centre of the headlights to the ground and I think it is 910mm with 33 BFG.
The ride when empty is a little hard but with a rear full of camping gear it is like a limo.
I got the standard springs rather than the heavy duty ,but maybe buy the HD and take a leaf out to replace when they are old and losing their load carrying ability.

As my old suspension was sagging about 2 inches and the Dobinsons a minimum of 2.5inches lift above standard,it lifted the cruiser 4.5 inches. I couldnt believe my eyes as I also put the 33 inch BFG on in the same day which added a further 1 inch.:D
Im using Belton greasable shackles and pins and RAW4X4(Powerdown) 41mm 3 way adjustable shocks whic I am also happy with

seems to be the general experience that OME's sag a bit more than dobbinsons... other than the sagging issues, anyone else have any experience... good or bad? maybe a shot shock or something like that?

In terms of the ride, maybe if there is someone out there that can compare... which is better, OME, DOBBINSON or IRONMAN...

Hi Lowenbrau,
I am the designer and maker of the HST parabolic suspension systems you are refering to and I just want to remark on your comment about my parabolic suspension systems.

They are NOT sagging in any way, not on my Land Cruiser systems nor on other 4x4 sytems I have in my programe.
I have sold many sets to customers that drive their J40, J60 & J70/75/78 series on heavy overland trips with very good results. Check my website to see them.
Nxt to improved load carrying capacity the ride qualty is also much improved, loaded and un loaded, over standard and aftermarket multi leaf spring systems.

My parabolic springs are made with great care from Chrome Vanadium to the highest ISO/TÜV standards in Europe and not like many other multi leaf springs in Asia. The suspension systems have TÜV apporvals in Germany and come with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited:
i have seen and road in a HJ61 that was in Calgary and yes the parabolic spring system did sag and yes they did create a serious body roll on that truck...bad enough that i was turned completely off the system.

Are you sure this J61 had my product fitted? My system is tested for road worthyness in Germany by the TÜV. If the body roll was serious it would have been dangerous and it would not have been apprroved. Sagging is somthing that sould not occure for atleast the first 5 to 10 years (normal sitations with steel springs in general). Any sagging within 2 years time is under warranty and the spring will be replaced without charge.
Please give me more info on the vehicle you drove in Calgary.

I thought it depends also abut the load on the Cruiser .. coz have alimit in the load ratings those Parabolic springs ..

My parabolic suspension systems are designed to take +40% more load then is allowed by the factory. This is because parabolic springs are better load carriers compared to the same weight of spring. They are also modular making the spring versatile.
At the German TÜV they do a static load of max. +40% to see what happens. Then they take out load untill the official maximum GVW load is in the vehicle. With this maximum load they do a series of road tests, on the motorway at high speeds (with the J75 they did 160 Kmh!) to see if it stays on it's lane, then do fast cornering, city trafic and rural roads. During this drive they do handling and brake tests to see if the vehicle does not beheaves dangerously. Sofar the the TÜV but even worse are the Africa test drives + a Paris Dakar 2007 hero's legend in a J75 + motorcycle on the rear. All systems drove without a sinlge problem. What can I say more?

My parabolic suspension systems are designed to take +40% more load then is allowed by the factory. This is because parabolic springs are better load carriers compared to the same weight of spring. They are also modular making the spring versatile.
At the German TÜV they do a static load of max. +40% to see what happens. Then they take out load untill the official maximum GVW load is in the vehicle. With this maximum load they do a series of road tests, on the motorway at high speeds (with the J75 they did 160 Kmh!) to see if it stays on it's lane, then do fast cornering, city trafic and rural roads. During this drive they do handling and brake tests to see if the vehicle does not beheaves dangerously. Sofar the the TÜV but even worse are the Africa test drives + a Paris Dakar 2007 hero's legend in a J75 + motorcycle on the rear. All systems drove without a sinlge problem. What can I say more?

Do you sell them in Australia? Ive seen some in Perth painted in the same blue but I have no experience with them .They seem to be the preserve of the landrover crowd.

Hey / in the interest of truth and a sweeter ride, could Lowenbrau or Crushers answer the question and verify if the parabolics were indeed Paulheystee's design/product or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom