suspension fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found the suspension fluid tank is empty. Should I refill the original fluid? Or any third party fluid is ok? Thanks.

My vehicle is LX470 v8 2002

Use original fluid. I haven't seen a thread here where anyone has found an equivalent...other than supposing the fluid is somewhat equivalent to 10-weight oil.

I would flush it once it's filled to at least the "minimum" line on the tank. You'll need 2 cans, and have some left over.

Steve

I agree with Steve. use the Toyota fluid as it is lighter than 10 weight in my opinion.

Thanks. I just found it is below the min level now. I should fill it quickly.

Where is the suspension fluid tank located? Didn't know there was one. But then again, I am new to the UZJ100 world.

It is located at the corner! Easy to see! I've attached the image.

20141110_201641.jpg

Only Toyota/Lexus fluid.

Empty ??? Where did the fluid go?

Thanks. I just found it is below the min level now. I should fill it quickly.
You realize the fluid level goes up and down as a function of the vehicle height? When in LOW the level will be high, when in HIGH the level will be low and at N it should be between max and min. I set it to the max level at N, don't worry if it's a bit higher because there is more then enough volume in the reservoir to handle these level fluctuations. There is only one approved fluid for this system, Toyota AHC suspension fluid. Sure, it looks similar in viscosity to 10 weight but despite searching the 'net for alternate equivalents I can't find a definitive Toyota document that specs the fluid, and conflicting info on if it's full synthetic or mineral. Play it safe and only use OE fluid. There are many, many searchable threads here on the AHC system, the FAQ section has a good write up on how to fill and bleed the system. Also, the difference between the fluid level at H and at L is the indicator to how much charge remains in your globe accumulators, you want to see more than 7 graduations difference.

Reactions: uHu
Only Toyota/Lexus fluid.

Empty ??? Where did the fluid go?

Another cruiser in my family had low fluid when we bought it, but had history of fluid change relatively recently. No leaks seen in the system, my mechanic says he's seen others with low fluid for no apparent reason. Monitoring it now.

Another cruiser in my family had low fluid when we bought it, but had history of fluid change relatively recently. No leaks seen in the system, my mechanic says he's seen others with low fluid for no apparent reason. Monitoring it now.
As globes loose their nitrogen charge and their gaseous volume decreases fluid will now occupy that space to equalize pressure/volume. So, if your fluid level is decreasing and it's not on the ground you'll find it replacing space that previously held nitrogen. Failing or completely busted diaphragms in one or more globes.

As globes loose their nitrogen charge and their gaseous volume decreases fluid will now occupy that space to equalize pressure/volume. So, if your fluid level is decreasing and it's not on the ground you'll find it replacing space that previously held nitrogen. Failing or completely busted diaphragms in one or more globes.

Seems right, kind of figured that. It rides good (better than mine), I need to put it on tech stream and see what the pressures are. This one I'm referencing is my mom's, so it will probably be getting new coils and new globes if there are signs of a failure.

Seems right, kind of figured that. It rides good (better than mine), I need to put it on tech stream and see what the pressures are. This one I'm referencing is my mom's, so it will probably be getting new coils and new globes if there are signs of a failure.
TechStream gives you the pump output pressure generated to lift the vehicle from L to N, unfortunately it doesn't give you any reading associated with the charge(s) in the globes. Best you can do to try and isolate a busted globe without opening up the system is the 16 point step thru manual damping test while pushing down on each corner or ease each corner off a curb or similar and feel the damping response. Rock hard, no damping equals busted diagram on that corner.

TechStream gives you the pump output pressure generated to lift the vehicle from L to N, unfortunately it doesn't give you any reading associated with the charge(s) in the globes. Best you can do to try and isolate a busted globe without opening up the system is the 16 point step thru manual damping test while pushing down on each corner or ease each corner off a curb or similar and feel the damping response. Rock hard, no damping equals busted diagram on that corner.

Good info. I remember tech stream only gives last reading when pump shuts off, I suppose it's simply an indication to set torsion bars & replace rear springs.... Not diagnose bad accumulators. I've driven other LX's with presumably 4 bad accumulators and that will shake your teeth over speed bumps. Do you have a link to 16 step manual damping test?

Here's the procedure, Step 4 in particular. I have never really felt 16 individual steps; more like soft, bit harder, pretty hard, yep that's the hardest.

Attachments

• r-m-2003-active-height-control-suspension precheck and damper check.pdf
    406.3 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for your inform. I plan to buy the original suspension fluid from Toyota. Do anyone know where can I find the repair manual? Thanks.

You realize the fluid level goes up and down as a function of the vehicle height? When in LOW the level will be high, when in HIGH the level will be low and at N it should be between max and min. I set it to the max level at N, don't worry if it's a bit higher because there is more then enough volume in the reservoir to handle these level fluctuations. There is only one approved fluid for this system, Toyota AHC suspension fluid. Sure, it looks similar in viscosity to 10 weight but despite searching the 'net for alternate equivalents I can't find a definitive Toyota document that specs the fluid, and conflicting info on if it's full synthetic or mineral. Play it safe and only use OE fluid. There are many, many searchable threads here on the AHC system, the FAQ section has a good write up on how to fill and bleed the system. Also, the difference between the fluid level at H and at L is the indicator to how much charge remains in your globe accumulators, you want to see more than 7 graduations difference.

Thanks for the information. Now the level is at N, but the level of fluid is below min. Should I re-fill? I did tried to change to HIGH level, it do not have any problem. I do not observe the level of fluid.

Thanks for your inform. I plan to buy the original suspension fluid from Toyota. Do anyone know where can I find the repair manual? Thanks.

You can find the repair manual on Toyota TIS info website, 2-day subscript is $15. Or search the forum and ask questions here about what you are trying to repair.

Thanks for the information. Now the level is at N, but the level of fluid is below min. Should I re-fill? I did tried to change to HIGH level, it do not have any problem. I do not observe the level of fluid.

Add some fluid if it's below MIN in Neutral. The pump is right under the reservoir and it will start sucking air if you put in High with no fluid in the reservoir.

I have filled the original fluid from Toyota. I have observed for a few days. The level mark in the reservoir is stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom