Suspension Conversion on a 73

Dear all

A brand new member. Just finished the engine swap on my FJ73 to make
it an HDJ73 with a 1HD-T and is definitely the most powerful rig I
ever owned. I put in Old Man Emu leafs with LTR
shocks which are good enough in general conditions. However, the suspension does not respond fast enough. I am actually looking right now to convert
it from leaf to coil or coil over. I was looking for
anybody who ventured on such a project before or can
at least point me in the right direction as far as parts and
suppliers. Mine is a 73 but I think the process would be very similar to a 40 or a 60 if anybody has more experience with them.
My biggest concern is length and location of control arms. Choice of suspension make is an issue as well but probably a later decision. Any Advice?

rgds,
Mido

1990 HDJ73
1993 HDJ80
jump-3s.jpg

crushers

post ho

if you are going to go to coil pick up an old LJ71 and you will have everything you need to do it right. order a front set of springs for a 2001 79 series and if youneed a lift or custom springs made up then there is a company in NZ that is making "one off".
cheers

Thanks Wayne. A couple of questions: Isn't the LJ71 wheelbase 90 in? The 73 is 102 in. Wouldn't that differ in control arms lengths? Also can you send me the contact of the NZ company?
thks

crushers

post ho

i will need to find the address, it might take a while.

yes the frame is shorter but the mounts will be the same for both. i would cut out the pieces you need and weld them into the 73 frame. i was going to do this with an old 74 series i had but i lost interest.

cheers

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star

The FZJ-71 model comes with front coils and rear leaf .. very good convination .. smooth and strong enought !

crushers

post ho

Tapage said:
The FZJ-71 model comes with front coils and rear leaf .. very good convination .. smooth and strong enought !
yah i was thinking the same thing leave the leafs and use the front end of a 79 series...
good call.
cheers

What I am going to do to mine fairly soon is swap the whole tub over on to a 80 series chassis. I know someone who did it with a 75 series (ute) Basicaly all he had to do is move cab mounts and shorten the steering rod.
On a midi you also need to cut a bit out of the back of the rear wheel arches as the wheel base is a little longer.

Top Bottom