Suspension Basics

Discussion in 'Drivetrain - Suspension' started by Dan Fredrickson, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Dan Fredrickson

Dan Fredrickson Supporting Vendor

Here on Mud we get to see alot of really interesting new suspension ideas and 1 off pieces that are great for a $100K Buggy! However, for the rest of us that have to live in the real world and don't have $100K to spend on a Buggy we have the normal and not quite so normal suspension stuff, the real stuff you can afford to put on your DD and trust day in and day out, the Basics for what the rest of us drive.

At RuffStuff we make both types, but if our sales numbers are any indication, most of you live in the real world and not that "who cares what it costs" neverland kind of world. So here we are, going to show you a little about our interpretation of the Basics.

First off I need to say that we don't like breakage! We like to be able to put something on and assume it will last the life of the vehicle. Thats why we like big hunks of steel so much! Where the factory used 1/8" and the other guys use 3/16" ours will be 1/4".

Now lets show you a little of our stuff, I can't show everything because we make 160 different items and are always adding new items but here is a good idea of what we do on the lines of basics.

Shock Brackets, yes, Brackets not tabs. Alot of you are now thinking tabs would be basic and I agree and we make tabs too but putting on 2 tabs for each end of every shock is a time consuming and irritating job. They need to be perfect and they need to be strong, making them as a bracket allows them to be strong and precise everytime. We also make and sell single tabs but don't use them unless the project demands it. If you compare prices of tabs VS. brackets you will see little difference and the labor to install is way on the side of brackets!

Flat Bottom and for Hoops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we make 3 other styles too....

Spring perches, pretty basic, but made in 3 widths (2", 2 1/2", & 2 3/4") for a perfect fit and not a "good enough" fit. With 3 pin placement options and long enough to help in controlling axle wrap. One of the interesting perches we make is for a Toyota front axle, its precut for the center section so you don't have to waste a hour fitting yours! We make those for Castor correction too!

2 3/4" & Toyota Differential cut Perches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link Tabs, to call these Tabs is a bit of a reach, I think of tabs as little things, these are stout! All of our Link Tabs are a full 3/8" thick and made only from A50 plate. We make over 30 different Link Tabs and Brackets but I'm only going to show the Tabs here. We make them for 1 3/4", 2.0", & 3.0" tube and we also make them with a flat bottom. The flat, 3.0" (Axle mount), and 2.0" are shown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will show more as the days go by, for now its back to work! And don't forget the MUD10 10% discount code either!

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    LOVE the fact that your stuff is so nice and thick...I've had some bending issues with some of the tabs currently on my rear link setup, the 1/4" and 3/8" thick stuff will cure that issue on the next project ;)

3. Dan Fredrickson

Thanks Woody!

We like to think they are just thick enough!

4. 66fj40x2

66fj40x2

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the shock brakets for the 3" axle tube, just the ticket for finishing my FJ60 axle install. Time to start the wish list......

I don't suppose you would have a spring hanger outboarding kit to fit an FJ60 axle under a SUA FJ40?

5. Dan Fredrickson

Actually, we do!

Just did a SO on a 55 and the frontend would be the same whether it was over or under.....give me a call and we can see if it would work for you. It won't actually be released until next Friday.....

6. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Dan, I still need some heavier shock mounts for my 14 bolt. Actually, the brackets similar to the above ones (not flat) would be perfect.

I'll give you a ring on Monday and we can talk.

7. Dan Fredrickson

How about this one Jason?

[​IMG]
    We make those also with a flat bottom, you can call anytime, you have the number. In all, we make 5 different shock brackets, 1 should do the job, or we will have to start making 6 different brackets!;)

8. Dan Fredrickson

Working on Suspension Basics III

Give me a few days, going to highlite a couple of new things and a couple of staples......And those of you with shops remember, we wholesale too!;)

9. 1983FJ40

1983FJ40

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and had a couple of questions: is this the right place to post a question on suspension? If so, I have an '83 FJ40 with the standard leaf springs...the ride is obviously quite bumpy and I'd like to smooth it out. What suggestions does anyone have on upgrading the suspension/shocks etc so it's not as stiff?

10. TheWoodlands

TheWoodlands

HELP! HELP!! I'm an actual idiot! I don;t know ANYTHING about cars, but I love my 2006 LC and don't want to get rid of it....BUT, I'm in a bad spot. I took it to Fred Haas Toyota in Houston and they s*** the bed on it. Looooonng story short, I don't think I have AHC anymore. I do know that I don't have a nice riding vehicle anymore either. I do not want to get rid of it, but I may have to unless I can get this thing fixed for a reasonable amount of time and money. Does ANYONE know who or where I can call or go in the Houston or S. Texas area. I would be willing to turn this into a more offroad ride if that's what needs to be done to keep it. 2006, 175K miles, perfect everything, except the suspension. If I can't get it fixed, I'm going to have to sell it and that will bum me out! Help. jjlowrey@gmail.com

11. TheWoodlands

TheWoodlands

Ok....No big deal, but I'm still here staring at the screen hoping that someone is going to bail me out of this situation. No pressure internet!

12. gilamonster

gilamonster SILVER Star

try asking in the 100 series forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.