Suspension advice for a fifth gen 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently bought a new 4runner TRD off road without kdss. I would like to fit the 33 inch wheels/tires from my previous vehicle on it but I’m gonna need a lift kit to do so. This is a welcome change as I live in a county with 80% unpaved roads and would sometimes have clearance issues with my previous vehicle.

The reason for my post is to solicit advice regarding which suspension lift to look for. I would like to raise the front three inches and make the rear level with the front. I hunt, so I’m not looking at too much high speed functionality but I do visit quite a bit of the state on unpaved roads so I don’t want to discount that too heavily.

I have had good luck with Fox products on my bicycle so I am interested in that brand. I have read that Toytec is designed specifically for Toyota so this is also interesting to me. I’m not wanting to limit myself to these two brands. I want whatever will serve me best.

My budget is $3k but can spend more if it’s truly warranted. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Web links are very helpful to me. I tried the search function but did not find that very helpful.

Considering you have so many unpaved roads, I suggest paying special attention to your spring rates. Don't get too stiff of springs if you don't plan on adding any steel bumpers and armor. You'll be looking for a kidney donor if you're driving too long on those dirt roads with a stiff suspension.

Considering you have so many unpaved roads, I suggest paying special attention to your spring rates. Don't get too stiff of springs if you don't plan on adding any steel bumpers and armor. You'll be looking for a kidney donor if you're driving too long on those dirt roads with a stiff suspension.

That’s good advice. I used to have an f350 and I needed about 500 pounds of atv/sand/gravel/whatever to keep from getting pounded.

That was my first overland build, a 1994 F350 crewcab. There was no such thing as a "U" turn or anything else less than a 10 point turn! I eventually did all new spring packs which made it much nicer but in the end it was just too big for trails. That's when I went to a 100 Series Landcruiser for my second build, but now, the love of my life.... is my GX 460! (Well, I may exaggerate a little, my wife is the true love of my life!)

OME BP51s

Toytec isn't bad...had their ultimate suspension on my 01 4Rnr. My brother has their boss suspension on his 01 4Rnr with remote rear reservoirs. The rear springs sagged after a year. I wanted to go with Kings but budget was a factor. BP51s have been great for me. Eventually had to swap out rear springs from stock load to heavy load.

Give Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad a shout. He has multiple different options of Dobinsons suspensions available at different price points, and can customize spring rates and lift heights to meet your needs. Anything from dual tube to 3-way adjustable with reservoirs. Fantastic customer service and largest Dobinsons dealer in the U.S.

BTW, I have no interest in the referral I am just a happy customer. I did a lot of research before putting Dobinsons MRRs on my GX 460, and have been very happy with them. As a former mechanical engineer in the automotive industry, I personally believe that Dobinsons provides the best bang-for-your-buck quality and performance in the Toyota aftermarket right now.

^^^This!

First and foremost thing to pay attention to is spring rate. How much weight will you be adding and then go from there. From personal experience, I would error on the stiffer side for safety reasons. If spring is too stiff you will be uncomfortable but can go a little faster provided you have matching shocks. If your springs are too soft especially without KDSS then you are risking rollover. on dirt roads tire pressure has higher effect on the ride comfort anyways.

Go with King's if the pocket book allows, Toytec or Dobinsons if you're budget minded but still want quality. I struggle with this same decision when I am not struggling with deciding whether or not to keep my 4Runner lol.

I ended up going with Toytec’s new aluma boss 2” shocks. I chose this because the price is good and the shocks are rebuildable. Springs are somewhat firmer than stock which I wanted. Body roll is much less as is brake dive. Rebound damping is better for driving at more than 20mph on unpaved roads. Slow speed creeping on unpaved roads is less favorable compared to stock but I knew this would be a compromise beforehand. Washboards and potholes are much nicer if I keep my speed over 15mph. All in all I’m pleased with my purchase. Hopefully long term results will be good.

I ended up going with Toytec’s new aluma boss 2” shocks. I chose this because the price is good and the shocks are rebuildable. Springs are somewhat firmer than stock which I wanted. Body roll is much less as is brake dive. Rebound damping is better for driving at more than 20mph on unpaved roads. Slow speed creeping on unpaved roads is less favorable compared to stock but I knew this would be a compromise beforehand. Washboards and potholes are much nicer if I keep my speed over 15mph. All in all I’m pleased with my purchase. Hopefully long term results will be good.

Good choice, might I ask what you paid and where you bought?

I struggle with this same decision when I am not struggling with deciding whether or not to keep my 4Runner lol.

Struggle on whether to keep the 4Runner?

Struggle on whether to keep the 4Runner?

It's still here and getting some new shoes and rubber soon so we shall see. The misses got on a GX trip lately and I am still Jones'n for a truck and Sprinter haha.

It's still here and getting some new shoes and rubber soon so we shall see. The misses got on a GX trip lately and I am still Jones'n for a truck and Sprinter haha.

Wish my wife would've been on board with the GX. I do love the simplicity of the 4Runner. She ended up with a 200 series.

Wish my wife would've been on board with the GX. I do love the simplicity of the 4Runner. She ended up with a 200 series.

I got the offer on both the GX and the trade value on the 4Runner that I wanted, but I just haven't quite decided if that's what I want to do just yet. I like the utilitarian aspect of the 4Runner in comparison, but it would be fun to start a new build. Thoughts?

BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!:bounce::bounce2::clap:
We need more builds on this forum!

I got the offer on both the GX and the trade value on the 4Runner that I wanted, but I just haven't quite decided if that's what I want to do just yet. I like the utilitarian aspect of the 4Runner in comparison, but it would be fun to start a new build. Thoughts?

Agreed...new build.

Magic.gif

I am still tempted to build one of these. Perfect for hauling the dirt bikes out of sight. I just worry about the reliability of the diesel and the 4WD system and the deaerl network isn't the best either.

RsPnuD1.jpg

1CigwlE.jpg

Last edited:
I too was looking at Sprinters, but... as you mentioned I've been hearing a lot about how poor the diesels are.
Another reason I went with my GX460 was the mobility for overlanding, parking (especially garage parking), fuel economy, and general comfort. I can also go through (small) boulder fields and some minor rock crawling and my CG (center of gravity) is not as high. A Sprinter can't come close to how my GX is setup for all the above reasons.
Now on the plus side of Sprinters, there's the convenience of not having to do a RTT, so if you're just doing over nighters on a long trip, you don't have to pack anything up. Just sit in the drivers seat and start 'er up and go. With some imagination the Sprinters are also very customizable with an infinite number of ways to configure.
Just don't expect to do any trails more difficult than a fire road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom