survey of actual lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
There was a post recently about unexpected lift from an OME upgrade due to sagging OEM springs. C-Dan made the very good point that the best way to figure it out is to measure bottom of flare to centre of hub. As someone still thinking about what lift to get, this sounds somewhat scientific to me (assuming the bottom of the fender flare height relative to the frame is the same on all years??). Since we have so many people here with different lift combos of different ages, if people post those measurements we should be able to get a good idea of what to expect from different lifts (and we may even be able to figure out how well OME lifts are holding up over time and how bad your stock springs are sagging)). I hereby volunteer to make up an organized spreadsheet for Woody to post in the tech section that will help people figure out what a given lift will do, so if people will post the following data for stock and lifted trucks, I will do the legwork:

1. year of truck
2. make and model of springs and shocks (and age/mileage since install)
3. front and rear hub to bottom of flare measurements
4. estimated extra weight front and rear
5. amount of gas in tank

If possible it would be best if everyone does this with half tank of gas but I guess we can adjust for that.

I didn’t bring a tape measure to work so I’ll post my own particulars tomorrow.

1. 1996 80 series, factory lockers.
2. Bilstein Shocks, Stock Springs, 118,000 miles
3. 20.25" Front, 20.5" Rear
4. All Stock, trailer hitch, rear seats removed.
5. 3/4 tank of gas.

Cary

• 1997 FZJ80
  • OME light front / Medium rear . OME shocks
  • 21 3/8 front / 23 rear
  • Truck virtually empty , with rear seats removed
  • 1/4 tank of gas

Cheers ,

Tyler

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=4759;start=msg36041#msg36041 date=1062100308]
There was a post recently about unexpected lift from an OME upgrade due to sagging OEM springs. C-Dan made the very good point that the best way to figure it out is to measure bottom of flare to centre of hub.

[/quote]

That works but not that good. You have to consider the different offset wheels and measuring around the bulge of the tire. Also the fender flare is not totally square.

I would like to propose that you measure between the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the bump stop mount. Like this. To be consistent it should be DS side front and rear. This is the way we are measuring all the trucks now. I have a little spreasheet going as well.

Christo has a good point (as usual). I measured mine the other day and the flare does taper down and in so it's hard to get accurate measurements.

I'm not sure how hard Christo's method is but I should know tonight. ;)

R

Sorry, but not even for you guys, am I going to explain to my wife why I am climbing under the LC with a tape measure!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

How about we do both measurements so we can compare??

Cary

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=4759;start=msg36126#msg36126 date=1062114401]
Not sure we're we are measuring. Is it where the bumpstop mount contacts the frame or the bottom of the bumpstop where it would contact the axle (roughly where that ugly ass thumb is pointing)?
[/quote]

Top of axle tube to bottom of frame at the point where the bumpstop mounts.

Christo,

What if one is lucky enough to have a 93 with the phantom front bump stops that nobody else has? :D

JK........

BTW, the factory method for measuring ride height is to go between the bump stop inside the spring and the contact point of said stop on the axle housing. The trick there is getting the old Stanley inside the spring. In vehicles with modified stops such as Christo's that method is out anyway.

Dan.

I do not have all the details that Tyler wants but here are some measurements as per our method.

95 STOCK TRUCK
Front = 4.5" Rear = 6.5"

95 Yellow Truck
OMEJ +3.25" spacer in the front
OMEJ + 2" spacer in the rear
SOF front bumper + Warn M12000
Rear SOF bumper & tire carrier. 315 MTR on carrier.
Front = 10.75" Rear = 11.5

95 Stock Truck
OME 851 front
OME 860 rear
Front = 6.8 Rear = 9.5

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4759;start=msg36138#msg36138 date=1062116159]
Christo,

What if one is lucky enough to have a 93 with the phantom front bump stops that nobody else has? :D

[/quote]

Just measure to the bottom of the frame like I did on the ShortBus with phantom bump stops as well.
:D

Christo,

how does the 851/863 compare to the 851/860 in example #3

(can you tell I want some? ;) )

ok, let's go with Christo's method. I am looking forward to finding my phantom bump stops. Everybody get to work 8).

Interesting task -

1995 80, diff locks
stock and sagging
1/2 tank of gas, had to drive around for 2 hours to get it down to half :D
rear jump seats installed
trailer hitch

rear is 6 1/4"
front 5 1/2"

I think cause it's hard to get in there to measure. Now I'm starting to like Dan's method. I need to get OME springs in order to measure this properly.

Also in the front there doesn't seem to be any rubber stop of any kind. Just a metal plate with 3 holes in it. Is this normal? If not then I'm glad I did this.

R

Riley,

Yes the "empty" plate is normal. Only the 93's have a bumper there and it isn't listed in the catalog at all. But, I do know the numbers ;)

Full tank o gas
Man-a-Fre lift with Bilstein Shocks

8 1/2" front
9 1/4" rear

Both DS

No bumpers, etc added at this point

1996 roughly 30k on springs
full tank of gas
Kaymar w/1 carrier holding a 315
850/863

8.125" in front
9.5" in rear

It would be easier for everyone I think to fill up first then measure, to get more consistant results.

In British Columbia Canada we can't afford to fill up. Only a half tank per paycheck.

That means I can only do this measurement once every two weeks. ::)

R

93, blower, Hanna sliders, Stout Equipment front bumper, Warn 8k winch. 305 spare on steel rim, drawers w/100 lbs gear, Garvin roof rack, Oem hitch platform, half tank, Downey springs circa 1994, stock shocks.

Flare measurment: Front 22.0 inches
Rear 21.5 inches.

Frame measurment: Front 7.13 inches
Rear 7.88 inches

Note:

With this load the vehicle sits almost level. There is a tiny bit of rake to the front. With 700 lbs gear/trailer tongue, the rear is about at stock un-loaded height. (nose up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom