BaT Surprising BAT Auction Result... (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone else see this auction? Can't believe what someone just paid for this 100 series!

This one too:

They both seem high to me.... What do you guys think? Lookin like BAT might be the best place to sell your 100. This LX470 is currently listed if you want to watch another one. If you haven't yet found this website then I apologize for your new addiction :cool:

Holy crap! $15k for a 99! I guess I bought mine at the right time!

Those are a little high, but overall reasonable. I don't like the rust on either. Plenty of paint-over-rust on that 99.

Taking a ton of professional grade photos and listing it on a national platform helps the price an awful lot. Take off a solid 25-50% if those were typical craigslist listings.

Fascinating. In my experience, BaT has a fair amount of sketchy sellers and uninformed nouveau riche buyers with weird misplaced nostalgia for cars that were bad in the 80s and 90s but now evoke feelings of "raw driving." Granted there are tons of cool cars and a lot of smart people in the comment sections that pick apart listings, but still. I much prefer the Mud classifieds

I had a friend who put a little too much trust in the professional photos and Carfax and bought an old M3 sight unseen for like 80% more than I spent on a super clean local M3. When he got there the body and engine bay looked pristine but once the shop got it up on the lift, there was so much rust underneath one of the floor pans was about to fall out. Turns out the Carfax had been doctored somehow, it was not a CA car but IL or something. It took him almost a year but the dealership that was selling it on consignment finally gave him his money back. He's a big fan of thorough PPIs now. ha

Those 3 examples are all super rusty too considering the price. And that 03 LX... the new owner is going to be in for a surprise when he sees the real color. They totally desaturated the blue in the photos and made it look silver.

Anyway, having said that, yeah I should probably think about listing mine on there if 100s are becoming a sought-after vehicle to that crowd.

BAT attracts some eccentric buyers with more money than sense. Example:’$18k for a 2004, 4 previous owner, 184kmiles NorthEastern rust sponge - no friggin clue

Damn i'm thinking mine would fetch a lot, being super clean and nicely modded. Hmmmm, but always wondered if someone won the bid and then decide to not take the car when they see it in person, what then?

After watching couple BMW auctions on BaT I don’t take it seriously anymore. Those prices don’t make sense. At one point it was place to find rare cars, now it’s place full of dealers who know how to list and describe.

Nothing wrong with that, but not place where I would buy

If I ever sell my '84 Pickup, I'm starting with BaT. Crazy how much cars and trucks go for there.

BaT seems to be a hotbed of vehicles that are way overvalued. Sure the 100 platform wasn't ever "cheap" and nice examples sell for strong money, but the 3 listed above are certainly overpriced.
I know a few people who gawk at BaT thinking vehicles listen there are somehow more special than the rest of the online car market.

Anyone watch the video of the '03 accelerating to 60? Ride quality looks terrible relative to what i'm used to in an '02 LX with tired globes.

Fascinating. In my experience, BaT has a fair amount of sketchy sellers and uninformed nouveau riche buyers with weird misplaced nostalgia for cars that were bad in the 80s and 90s but now evoke feelings of "raw driving."

This is the single MOST accurate statement I've read. Very well said. I was quite nostalgic for a '79 Firebird Trans Am (friend of mine had a gorgeous blue one back in high school) with the 6.0L. Been 30 years since I've been in one. Drove one a few months back (it was in mint condition) and was thoroughly unimpressed. It really was a pretty crappy car. Seemed cool back then though.

I think it's not that easy to post on BaT. They pre-approve cars. It needs to be special in some way. And they control how many goes on auction at the same time.
If that were the case- the 100's that this thread focused on for example are high mileage, from rust belt, nothing particularly unique or special about them.

If that were the case- the 100's that this thread focused on for example are high mileage, from rust belt, nothing particularly unique or special about them.
It is the case, I know a guy who works for them, and another one of my friends was denied a listing once. As far as I can tell it's more of a regulated market in terms of how many cars are on there at once - for example they don't mind selling a 100 here and there (they aren't really vehicle experts when it gets down to nitty gritty details) - they just don't want to have ten of the same car on there all at once driving prices down.

Damn i'm thinking mine would fetch a lot, being super clean and nicely modded. Hmmmm, but always wondered if someone won the bid and then decide to not take the car when they see it in person, what then?

I'd estimate that greater than 50% of BaT transactions are completed between two parties who never meet in-person. I purchased a final year Bronco on BaT, but the seller was local. It was not the typical situation, and I was able to see the truck before I bid.

Further, the winning bidder is charged the 5% vig upon completion of the auction, with a $500 minimum. Unless you can prove fraud or gross mispresentation, you will be out that money whether you complete the transaction, or not. BaT will get their money. That is the ONLY guarantee.

If you know what you want to buy, you typically don't go to BaT to buy it. Reputation is EVERYTHING on BaT.

I think i might throw mine on BAT, if these rust buckets are fetching that much, mine will get me a lot

I listed my 40 on there and it did not meet the reserve, it only went up to 19 and I held out for a couple months on craigslist and got 33 for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom