Surprised by noticeable increase in road noise going from K02 33"->34"... rear wheel balanced w 30 wheel weights? Ask for replacement tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bumped up from 275/70R18 33" KO2 with 8k mi on them to new 285/75R17 34"K02. Really liked the highway road noise on the 33s, and was one of the reasons I went back with K02 on new 17 setup. But I've been rather surprised by the jump in highway noise (hum) starting around 60-65mph. The vast majority (subjectively seems like all of it) of noise is coming from rear of LX cabin. I noticed pretty serious discrepancy in use of wheel balancing weights.... on front tires, FD = 12, FP = 3. In the rear, RD = 18, RP = 30. And I could swear the hum/drone seems to be coming more from that RP (rear passenger) side. I know the K02's can be difficult to balance, but can what I'm stating have anything to do w this increased noise? Got it done @ Discount Tire this past wkd, so well within 30 day period. Does it make sense to request new treads for rear that potentially balance much easier? I just don't understand how road hum can bump this much with such a small increase in contact patch on same model tire. Tx for any insight.

You now have a bigger “drum” so the noise is going to louder and likely a different frequency that may be more noticeable to your ears. The weight is a different story.

A lot of the noise and frequency can be attributed to the specific tread voids and spacing. So while the general lug pattern is the same for all tires in a model lineup, the actual lug size and spacing between lugs varies between tire sizes. And P to LT to Floatation. So very possible the larger and more aggressive sizes could be louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom