Surging issues on my 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60 is surging really bad in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to settle out at high RPMs. I have checked the EGR as per emissions manual. I am leaning toward replacing the catalytic converter and O2 sensor. I have replaced most of the vacuum system and rebuilt carb. Any other ideas....?

Make sure you replace all of the vacuum lines first. My 60 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a larger diameter hose off of one of the emission components.

ditto on double checking for vacuum leaks.

does the surging happen in neutral at idle or only in 1st and 2nd while under load?

a bad cat and/or cat temp sensor would be at the bottom of my list as far as surging goes. i'm a smog tech/mechanic out here in CA and generally speaking, surging is usually caused by some sort of false/unmetered air. double and triple check for any vacuum leaks...

try by passing the egr before you go tearing into anything else. Instructions if you search,

Mine turned out to be a crack on the inside of a vacuum hose which caused enough of a leak to cause some horrible hesitation under acceleration. I would replace all of the hoses and if that doesn't fix at least you can cross that off of the list with confidence. There is a part number you can get from Toyota to buy some longer sections of hose for less money. Also SOR has some good bulk hose but neither one is very cheap. Good luck -

try by passing the egr before you go tearing into anything else. Instructions if you search,

restatement of first post.
I dunno what the manual calls for to check out the EGR. Maybe it calls for plugging the hose at the top etc...if so and you did it it's probably not the egr.

The vacuum hoses on the engine side of the carb, up next to the air rail were completely toast on my rig. I replaced all of them with silicone and shot cleaner into all the openings on the carb especilly the ones on the engine side.

cracked intake/exhaust manifolds do cause surging too.

The temp sensor is no longer offered by Toyota; 600plus when it was. I'd echo what's been offered about putting its replacement to the bottom of the list. However, if the sensor does turn out to be an issue you can get a used one from Cruiserparts.net. As far as checking out the EGR, you can put a mirror beneath it to see if it rises as it should. If not, look at the fittings(multy letter names) screwed into the thermostat housing and the leads to the EGR. The EGR is temperature operated. I hope this helps.

OK...have replaced all vacuum lines and still have the issue. It is definitely worse when its cold, once warmed up its drivable. Next is trying to find the right color vsv's on the thermostat housing (ordered from sor and got the wrong color) book says pink and purple, anyone have anything different. Thanks for all the advice and will wait to check everything else before the temp and catalytic.

also used a smaller size vacuum line but very close haven't had any issues yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom