1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surging at idle and untill 3/4 throtle

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Tatunka, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Tatunka

Tatunka

I searched and did not find a close enough thread for my problem, so here it goes.

73 with an 72 asian carb (rebuilt by Jim C, recently), recent tune up (plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap...), and just timed it. The carb is ported for vac advance which is pluged, and the dizzy is stock.

The problem is that the thing surges at idle and through the gears unless you hammer it to the floor then it runs good, and will back fire if throtle is let up, on the freeway. Also the choke needs to be pulled out a little bit (1/4) unless it has run for a long time (40 min) otherwise it will kill.

My question is that I think the problem is fuel starvation at some point in the system, I am thinking the carb because the fuel level checks out and the fuel filter is new (maybe I got something in it during install, or adjusted it wrong) but I wanted to see what others think about it. I have no clue as to why the choke needs to be pulled out, probly something to do with fuel mixture, but I don't know.

Also what method (haynes, toyota) is best for adjusting the carb or are they all pretty close.

Thanks

2. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

Check for vacuum leaks.

3. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

also is that dizz also a vac advance? If so hook em up properly.
    I would think the toyota way would be better than haynes...toy built toy know ;). The choke will enrich the mixture (more fuel less air). This is meant to 1) start the truck when the carb is low and 2) keep the idle up in the winter so it warms up faster (damn shot door seals :mad:) :cheers:

4. Tatunka

Tatunka

Finnally figured it out, it was my fuel cut off switch. I don't think I ever hooked it back up :doh: . But now that I hooked it up it runs like a dream.:D

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">