Surge then die at startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alsphoto.com
This has only happened a couple times, but I fear if I don't address it soon, it could get worse.

When the car is started, the RPM surges a little bit, then the car dies. Previously, it would surge to around 1500 RPMs then drop to normal idle and "catch" at around 800 RPM. With this issue, it's only when I give it a little gas to keep the RPM up that it will sustain itself after that. It has no other symptoms. It drives perfectly normally with that one little exception. The problem is intermittent. It's only happened twice so far.

Here's a video. You can't hear the exhaust, so you have to watch the tach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50A3Jki_3oU

Clean the air filter and the mass airflow sensor (MAF).
Also, clean the throttle body with solvent and a toothbrush; make sure you are running good clean fuel.
Hope this helps.

Have you disconnected the battery recently? Sometimes it takes the ecm some time to "relearn" parameters. X2 on the throttle body cleaning.

No on the battery, but I did switch to premium fuel (93 octane) recently. I wonder if that's it. I guess its a good excuse to get that EMS exhaust installed and reset the ECU to relearn fuel maps. :)

I'd call around to a few Toyota shops, they must have seen this issue. Either fuel not getting to manifold after starting crank cycle possible cassed by electronic fault, fuel pump issue, fuel filter or electronics ignition issue. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
No on the battery, but I did switch to premium fuel (93 octane) recently. I wonder if that's it. I guess its a good excuse to get that EMS exhaust installed and reset the ECU to relearn fuel maps. :)
I wouldn’t think switching to 93 octane would have any noticeable effect, other than increase power & gas mileage after the four full tank or so.

I assume you have keep up with all recommended maintenance, you have haven’t you?

Here are some more things to consider:

Changing gas stations sometimes will have the effect of dislodging slug built up from lower quality gas. Or filling up while gas deliver tanker tuck is filling station main tanks will stir up sediment, not a good time to fuel up.

You may try putting in a can of 44K driving 20 or 30 miles, then let sit overnight to soak-in and then take a 300 mile highway trip so it doesn't soak-in for long than 24 hours.

Also filling the tank and going off road or forcing in additional gas to top off has reportedly gotten gas into charcoal canister; this is most notable in newer models where the charcoal canister is in the rear. My 2001 is in the front and this has not been a problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom